• Rajasthan

    Cong 99
    BJP 73
    RLM 3
    OTH 24
  • Madhya Pradesh

    Cong 115
    BJP 108
    BSP 2
    OTH 5
  • Chhattisgarh

    Cong 68
    BJP 15
    JCC 7
    OTH 0
  • Telangana

    TRS-AIMIM 95
    TDP-Cong 21
    BJP 1
    OTH 2
  • Mizoram

    MNF 26
    Cong 5
    BJP 1
    OTH 8

* Total Tally Reflects Leads + Wins

Income tax returns: Here’s why you must link PAN with Aadhaar

By: | Published: May 15, 2017 3:14 AM

You have to link PAN with Aadhaar even if you are not liable to pay tax or file income tax returns.


If my total income is below Rs 2.5 lakh a year, do I still have to link my PAN card with Aadhaar card?

– Mukuntharajan A.V

Assuming your total taxable income for FY 2016-17 is below Rs 2.5 lakh, as per the income tax provisions it is not mandatory for you to file return of income. But as per the announcements made by the ministry of finance, every person who has been allotted PAN as on July 1, 2017 and who is eligible to obtain Aadhaar number shall link the Aadhaar number with the PAN, failing which the PAN would become invalid from the date which would be notified by the government.
l My name in my Aadhaar card is Asokakumar and in PAN card it is Asokakumar Kavunkal. My date of birth in Aadhaar is 16.11.1954 and in PAN it is wrongly given as 16.11.1956. Please advise me how I can correct details of the PAN card.

– Asokakumar Kavunkal

You may also like to watch this video

Correction of name and DOB in the PAN card can be made through an online application form which is available on the NSDL website. Here is the direct link (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html) to understand the process of correction of data in your PAN card. Once the online form is submitted, a signed copy of the acknowledgement along with photograph and proof of existing PAN, proof of identity, address and date of birth is to be sent to NSDL at ‘NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016’ for further processing. Alternatively, one can file the PAN correction form along with the necessary documents at PAN card centre.

The writer is tax partner & India Mobility Leader, EY India.

Send your queries to fepersonalfinance@expressindia.com

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition