Budget 2018: Today, on January 29, the first the Budget Session of Parliament is set to commence. On the day 1 of the budget session, finance minister Arun Jaitley will present the Economic Survey 2018 before the parliament. President of India, Ram Nath Kovind will address the joint sitting of the two Houses on January 29. The first phase of the budget session will start on January 29 and will run until February 9. Thereafter a recess will take place and the Parliament will meet again from March 5 to April 6.
* Ahead of the Budget session of Parliament beginning on January 29, representatives of the government and the opposition met in New Delhi to discuss the issues and proposed legislation which would come up.
* The government on January 28 made a strong pitch for the passage of the triple talaq bill in the Budget Session of Parliament and said it would talk to various parties to bring about consensus on the issue.
* Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan on January 28 said that the House would have eight sittings in the first part of the budget session, during which 19 out of a total of 36 hours would be devoted on the discussion on the vote of thanks to the President’s address and the Union Budget for 2018-19.
WATCH | Budget 2018- 10 Expectations Of The Common Man
* It is in the budget session, the union budget 2018 will be presented by finance minister Arun Jaitley on February 1. This will be the last full-fledged budget by the BJP-led NDA government ahead of the Lok Sabha polls scheduled for 2019.
* The union budget 2018, which will be presented on February 1 is likely to carry a strong political message with an emphasis on farmers and the poor and an eye on the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
* The Modi government is expected to give a fresh push for passage of the triple talaq legislation and a bill seeking constitutional status for the OBC commission during the session.
* The first phase of the budget session will start on January 29 and will run until February 9. Thereafter a recess will take place and the Parliament will meet again from March 5 to April 6.
* On Day 1 of the budget session, Economic Survey 2018 will be presented by finance minister Arun Jaitley. Prior to the Union Budget 2018, Economic Survey 2018 will give a broad picture of the state of the economy and the way forward.
WATCH | 5 Must-Know Budget-Related Terms
* Economic Survey 2018 prepared by Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) Arvind Subramanian will indicate the government’s priorities and thrust areas for the forthcoming Budget 2018.
* President Ram Nath Kovind will address the joint sitting of the two Houses on January 29. This will be Ram Nath Kovind’s first address as the President.