Budget 2018: Are fizzy fruit drinks like Appy Fizz going to cost less? Here’s what food ministry wants

By: |
Updated: Jan 19, 2018 10:33 PM

As the countdown for the Budget 2018 has begun, the Food Ministry has pitched for lowering the tax rate on fruit-based aerated drinks in the Union Budget.

The Food Ministry has pitched for lowering the tax rate on fruit-based aerated drinks in the Union Budget 2018.

As the countdown for the Budget 2018 has begun, the Food Ministry has pitched for lowering the tax rate on fruit-based aerated drinks in the Union Budget. The Food Ministry has asked the Finance Ministry to remove the cess on these drinks, ET Now reported quoting sources. Fruit-based aerated drinks like Fanta, Appy Fizz et al attract 28% GST along with 12% cess, which makes a total of 40% tax.

Earlier, the Indian Beverage Association (IBA) had asked the government to reconsider a lower rate of cess in GST rates on aerated drinks stating that the categories with an effective tax rate of 40% would impact the industry’s growth.

In 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi suggested mixing at least 2% fruit juice in aerated drinks to help distressed farmers find a new market for their produce. “Why can’t 2% natural juice be mixed in aerated drinks? This will provide farmers with a market for their produce,” he explained.

The possibility of blending cold carbonated drinks, which are widely considered not healthy, with natural fruit juice is also being looked into. According to a report by the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, consumption of non-alcoholic beverages is expected to increase by 16.5-19% over the next three years in the country.

After Prime Minister’s call for mixing fruit juice in aerated drinks, Beverages major Coca-Cola India was reported to be exploring options for doing so. PTI reported that the company, which procures about 2 lakh metric tonnes of fruits, planned to increase it further as part of its ‘fruit circular economy’ initiative.

Do you know What is Finance Bill, Short Term Capital Gains Tax, Fiscal Policy in India, Section 80C of Income Tax Act 1961, Expenditure Budget? FE Knowledge Desk explains each of these and more in detail at Financial Express Explained. Also get Live BSE/NSE Stock Prices, latest NAV of Mutual Funds, Best equity funds, Top Gainers, Top Losers on Financial Express. Don’t forget to try our free Income Tax Calculator tool.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.