Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Shipping, Nitin Gadkari on Monday(February 29) hailed the Union Budget 2016 presented by the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today as historic.
“First time in the history of India for the road project which includes ‘Rashtriya Mahamarg’ and The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) around Rs. 1 lakh crore provision has been given and this is a historic decision for the infrastructure of the country,” said Gadkari.
Highlighting that Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his budget speech mentioned that that 85 percent of the stalled road projects are back on track Gadkari hoped that the rest 15 percent stalled projects will be solved in the coming one month.
Jaitley earlier in his speech announced Rs.221, 246 crores for the country’s infrastructure and said total allocation for the road sector, including the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) will be Rs.97,000 crores.
Expressing happiness over the budget Gadkari said the Rs. 1600 crore proposed for the shipping sector and inland waterways will boost both the sectors.
” For the first time in history, Rs. 800 crore has been sanctioned for our ambitious inland waterways and Sagar Mala projects, beside that he has made a provision for Rs. 800-crore tax exempted bonds, so these 16 crores would be of great help to the shipping and inland waterways, ” said Gadkari.
Sagar mala, a project unveiled by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi government aims harness the potential of India’s 7,500 km coastline that will accelerate economic development.
Gadkari said that the projects on River Ganga have been already started.
Gadkari hailed Finance Minister’s proposal of introducing private players in transportation sector and said that new employment will be generated with the proposal.
“The condition of state transport is not good. In order to bring new technology, new investment and with the technology pollution and cost efficient transportation will be provided to people.. the idea of private players in the sector with that new employment will be generated,” said Gadkar.
Gadkari said that with new technology from private players like electric buses, buses running on CNG and ethanol, air conditioning buses, commuting for the people will be cost effective, pollution free, an import substitute.
Gadkari also said that this it was for the first time that both included agriculture and rural together has been included together.