The car's name acronym was "Zica", derived from "Zippy Car" Tata Motors, on Tuesday, announced to rename its upcoming hatchback Tata 'Zica' due to its resemblance with the "Zika" - a mosquito-transmitted virus that is growing quite rapidly in various countries across the world. The car's name acronym was "Zica", derived from "Zippy Car". "Empathizing with the hardships being caused by the recent “Zika” virus outbreak across many countries, Tata Motors, as a socially responsible company, has decided to re-brand the car.", said the company in a statement. Though the new name will be announced after a few weeks, the model to be showcased at the Auto Expo 2016 will carry the 'Zica' lable for the duration of the event. The home-grown automaker wants to ensure that all necessary consumer/branding and regulatory aspects are aspects are addressed. Due to this move, the product launch too could be delayed as the company will have to rebrand the product accordingly. The company has also started dispatching the car to its dealers, and that too will now be stopped with immediate effect. Besides Tata Zica, the company will also showcase the Kite 5 sedan, Nexon sub-compact SUV, Hexa compact SUV among other 20 products at the Auto Expo 2016.
Tata Zica to be renamed due to its resemblance with ‘Zika’ virus
Though the new name will be announced after a few weeks, the model to be showcased at the Auto Expo 2016 will carry the u0027Zicau0027 lable for the duration of the event.
By: Vikas Yogi | Updated: March 14, 2016 6:39 PM
- Tata Motors passenger vehicle sales surge 35% in November; Tata Nexon production ramped up
- Mahindra delivers 150 e-Verito electric cars to EESL; Govt to intensify electric car procurement
- Electric Tata Tigor specification leaked; “Will make enough money on every electric car sold to EESL” says Tata Motors
- Toyota Yaris vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna: Best Automatic Sedan In India
- Land Rover Discovery Sport off roading review: Celebrating 70 years in style
- Skill India: Japanese martial art training technique is helping Maruti Suzuki to build cars
- Volvo XC40 launched in India: Price, specifications and all details