Scheduled to be launched on October 26, 2015, bookings for the Maruti Suzuki's first ever premium hatchback - the Baleno - has commenced from today i.e. October 13, 2015. This will be the second product, after the S-Cross, to be retailed through the company's Nexa dealership range.
The Maruti Suzuki Baleno is based on the company's new-generation platform that has been developed to increase the car's rigidity while reducing its overall weight. The new platform has helped improve the vehicle's fuel efficiency, handling, stability, safety and cabin insulation, claims the company. To achieve lighter weight, the company has radically redesigned the basic structure of the vehicle underbody. As a result, the Baleno weighs almost 100kg less than the Swift despite being more spacious than the latter. The same platform will underpin several future Maruti Suzuki models including the Swift and Dzire.
Engine options on offer are the same 1.2-litre K-series petrol (84bhp, 115Nm) and 1.3-litre DDiS Diesel (74bhp, 190Nm) that power the Swift and Dzire. Though with lighter weight, the Baleno offers higher fuel efficiency and better performance. With ARAI certified mileage of 21.4km/l (petrol) and 27.39km/l (diesel), the Baleno has become the most fuel-efficient car in its league. The Maruti Suzuki's premium hatchback will be made available with two gearbox options - a 5-speed manual and a CVT automatic.
Just like the S-Cross, the Baleno too will be offered in four trim levels - Sigma, Delta, Zeta and Alpha - in both petrol and diesel versions. Measuring 3,995mm in length, 1,520mm in height, 1,745mm in width, and with a wheelbase of 2,520mm, the Maruti Suzuki Baleno will be one of the most spacious hatchbacks in its class.
Maruti Suzuki Baleno: Key Features
- Dual airbags (Standard across all variants)
- Anti-lock braking system with electronic brakeforce distribution (Standard across all variants)
- Tilt adjustable steering wheel (stadard across all variants)
- Electrically adjustable outside rear view mirrors with turn signals (Delta trim onwards)
- Steering mounted audio and phone controls (Delta trim onwards)
- Audio with FM / MP3/ CD (Delta trim onwards)
- Bluetooth, AUX & USB Support (Delta trim onwards)
- Power windows for all doors (Delta trim onwards)
- CVT automatic gearbox (Optional on Delta trim)
- 60:40 split seat (Delta trim onwards)
- Rear parking sensor (Delta trim onwards)
- Auto dimming internal rear view mirror (Zeta trim onwards)
- 15 inch alloy wheels (With Zeta trim)
- Telescopic adjustable steering (Zeta trim onwards)
- Automatic headlamps (Zeta trim onwards)
- Height-adjustable driver seat (Zeta trim onwards)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (Zeta trim onwards)
- LED daytime running lamps (Alpha trim)
- Projector headlamps (Alpha trim)
- Touchschreen SmartPlay infotainment system (Alpha trim)
- Reverse parking camera (Alpha trim)