On Wednesday, Tata Motors announced the name of the new design language of its passenger vehicles. It's called 'Impact'. "With the recently unveiled Zica as the first new product under this design language, the 'Impact' design forms the overarching design brand which stands for 'Immediate IMPACT at first sight. Lasting IMPACT over time'," the company said in a statement.
Mayank Pareek, president, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, said, “Today, the automakers are developing innovative technologies to cater to the needs of the new generation of customers. Design is among the key factors for car purchase decisions.
Tata Motors recognises this and presents ‘Impact’ design—as a key focus for the company’s passenger vehicle strategy. The new, youthful, energetic and bold character of the passenger vehicles by Tata Motors is sure to make a lasting impact on our customers and on the Indian roads.”
“It is after keeping the media-saturated customer in mind that a new design language had to be created. Something that could break the clutter and reinvent the wheel every time it was applied. And thus the ‘Impact’ design philosophy was created,” the company added.
The ‘Impact’ design further distils the design elements that can be expected from all Tata Motors passenger vehicles. It will be achieved through key design elements on the exterior and interior.
The exterior design will be defined through ‘EXciting’, ‘EXpressive’ and ‘EXtraordinary’ features:
1. EXciting architecture and pleasing proportions will be standard; for example, best-in-segment size and location of wheels, perfectly proportioned cabin-to-body ratio and hood-to-cabin relationship;
2. EXpressive surfaces and graphics; for example, front face framed by the humanity Line, dynamism amplified by the slingshot Line, and movement created by the diamond window;
3. EXtraordinary: Details inspired by Indian architecture.
The interior of the vehicle will be defined through 'INviting', 'INtelligent' and 'INtouch' features:
1. INviting interior architecture and proportions including layered cockpit design, driver-focused layout, and outstanding textures, fabrics and materials;
2. INtelligent cabin layout with clever storage spaces, surprise and delight features. All displays, commands and controls will be within easy and intuitive reach;
3. INtouch and connected to the world inside and outside the vehicle.
According to Pratap Bose, head, Design, Tata Motors: “You can either win or lose a potential customer within the first 20 seconds of them seeing a car. However, the customer stays with you based on the long-term experience they have with the product or service.
The ‘Impact’ design is exactly about an immediate and a lasting impact design has in our lives and environment. From INtelligent use of space, INviting interiors and ConnectNext features that make you feel INtouch with the world inside, to EXpressive, EXciting’ and EXtraordinary exterior features. With the Zica, we have started this journey.”