We all know that it is a long weekend coming up and you must have already made plans to make full use of the extended Independence Day weekend. Of course, why not! It will give you some quality time with friends and family and from the long hours of work. So, before you pack your bags and head to your favourite destinations in the country for a perfect relaxing holiday, we at Express Drives suggest you to take out some time and read this.
If you are planning to drive down yourself to the destination, you will come across many bad roads as well as good roads. Some are bumpy and some have sharp turns and corners that will lead you to zip zap your car and tests its handling and performance. But before this, there are many things which one should keep in mind while driving on open highways. In India, there are not many good highways so there are some highway driving tips you should follow.
1. It is always good to leave early! Leaving early means, leave for the destination in the morning before the traffic starts coming onto the road. Nobody wants to get stuck in the daily traffic even when you are on a holiday. If you leave early, you will reach early and you can spend more time up in the Himalayas or at your favourite beach site. Nobody wants to waste most of the time honking at the traffic or standing at the signals for long.
2. When driving on the highway, one should always eat light. Not only the driver, but also the passengers, to avoid any unnecessary stopping in the middle of the highway. Instead of eating butter filled Aloo paratha, one should drink and carry hydrants like water and juices to keep themselves well hydrated while on the go.
3. Apart from these basic things, we suggest you take your vehicle for servicing before stepping out for a holiday this Independence Day. During the service, you will get to know any major or minor faulty part. If this is the case, get it repaired immediately. Moreover, check for engine oil, coolant, preferred tyre pressure on all tyres and other small things like the headlamps, wipers, or any noise while driving. Despite getting your car serviced, it is good to carry a spare tyre in case of puncture and a handy tool kit.
4. We all love cruising on open highways as it gives unmatched pleasure, however, one should follow the speed limit. Over speeding, especially on cement roads, can lead to tyre burst due to heat generated by the friction of a tyre on the road surface. No matter how good or bad the road is, one should always follow the speed limit. When driving in the city or town, drive slowly and carefully as there will be pedestrians crossing the road.
5. Before driving at night, check for proper functioning of the headlamps, fog lamps and ORVMs (Outside Rear View Mirrors). Usually, highways do not have functional road light and this can be dangerous due to low visibility. When you are on a single lane road, you should switch to low beam, while the high beam should be used where the road is divided by white or black and yellow driving marks.
6. At times, to reach early, people take shortcuts and lose their way. We suggest you not to take any shortcuts to avoid any unnecessary accidents.
7. The driver should avoid consuming liquor or any alcoholic beverages. The driver also should take proper rest getting behind the steering wheels as he/she might feel drowsy while driving if not taken proper rest.
8. Lastly, one should have all the driving documents such as driving license, pollution certificate, registration card and insurance papers. One should also not drive without a seat-belt.
Everyone has their own driving ways and skills and to avoid any accidents follow these tips for a nice and peaceful extended Independence Day weekend.