The big announcement of the return of Honda Civic to the Indian market came last month at the Auto Expo 2018 when the Indian arm - Honda Cars India showcased the new Honda Civic in India for the first time along with the new-generation Honda Amaze and 2018 Honda CR-V SUV. Honda Civic sedan has been a popular sedan in India when it was introduced in 2006 and had a good run for 7 years before the company decided to take it off the market in 2013.
Honda Cars India is looking to go aggressive in India with these new products and have confirmed the launch of 6 new cars in the next three years. New generation Honda Amaze will be the first of these new cars to be rolled out followed by Honda Civic and Honda CR-V.
Honda Civic India launch: Top 10 things to know
1. Globally, Honda Civic badge is available in three body styles including hatchback, Coupe and sedan. India will only get the sedan version of Honda Civic.
2. Honda Civic will be the second launch by the company during Financial Year 2018-19 after Honda Amaze. Expected launch of Civic in India is around the festive season (Oct - Nov 2018).
3. Honda Civic became popular due to its low-stance and sporty appeal. The car was first launched in 2006 and saw two major facelifts before it went out production in 2013. Honda Civic will fill the gap between Honda City and Honda Accord hybrid sedan in India.
4. Globally, current generation Honda Civic made its international debut in 2015 and went on sale in North America and Europe in 2016. India will get the next facelifted version of this model which is expected to be showcased later in 2018.
5. New India bound Honda Civic features a sporty design with a new headlamp cluster wit hDRLS, aggressive character lines along with the body and alloy wheels.
7. Premium interiors, modern cabin with a touchscreen infotainment system would be the highlight of Honda Civic's cabin.
8. Honda Civic will be powered by a 1.8L petrol engine and Honda might also introduce a 1.6L i-DTEC diesel engine on the new Civic for the first time. The same diesel engine will power the 2018 Honda CR-V. Honda will launch the car with the options of both manual and Automatic Gearboxes.
9. To keep the cost competitive, Honda will assemble its new Civic here in India and expect the prices to be anywhere between Rs 14 - 19 lakh (ex-Showroom).
10. Going forward, expect Honda Cars India to focus on bringing in more premium products into its product line-up.