The TVS Apache RR 310 will finally be launched on Indian shores today. The Hosur-based manufacturer had released the teaser videos recently that spiced up the excitement and hype around the motorcycle even more. The TVS Apache RR 310 will be an extremely important product for the company due to a number of reasons. First, the new Apache will make the brand mark its presence in the 300cc + motorcycle space that already has a lot of worthy players at the moment like the KTM RC 390, Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Benelli 302R. Pricing will play an important role for the TVS Apache RR 310 in deciding its fate in India. Our analysis says that the bike should be launched in the country at a price ranging between Rs 1.8 lakh and Rs 2 lakh for the ex-showroom tag. For those who do not know, let us share it one more time. The TVS Apache RR 310 is basically the production-spec version of the Akula 310 concept model that was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo. After a few months, the test mules started gathering attention of the enthusiasts and a couple of days back, the motorcycle was fully revealed undisguised in images from the MMRT racetrack in Chennai where the media ride event is scheduled. Meanwhile, here are the reasons why TVS Apache RR 310 makes itself a strong competition for the KLM RC 390.
1. The TVS Apache RR 310 carries a 313cc engine that should develop power close to 34 hp. The KTM RC 390, on the other hand, gets a bigger engine with a displacement of 373cc resulting in a better power output of 43 hp. While, it is clear that the TVS Apache RR 310 cannot beat the KTM on pure performance, it will offer slightly lesser performance, at a significantly lower price.
2. The KTM RC 390 gets a lot of features like dual disc brakes with an ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), slipper clutch, ride-by-wire technology, fully digital instrument cluster and a lot more. To be honest, the TVS Apache RR 310 may not have most of these but in order to compensate, the company has loaded the bike with some other first-in-class features that are not present even in the KTM, making it a well-rounded value for money proposition.
3. The KTM RC 390 is more extreme and track focussed and has a committed riding posture that makes it quite a pain riding it during everyday commutes. On the other hand, the TVS Apache RR 310 is expected to be a more comfortable and practical motorcycle that can be ridden day to day without tiring out the rider. For this reason, the motorcycle can be a perfect pick for those who want practicality and performance at the same time.
4. For most motorcycle owners in India, maintenance costs of the bike and after-sales network of the manufacturer is of great importance. Considering, local development and manufacturing and the network of TVS, the TVS Apache RR 310 is expected to cost a bit lesser than the KTM RC 390, which puts both contenders pretty much on par.
5. Last but not the least, pricing will play an important factor in determining the success of TVS Apache RR 310. The KTM RC 390 is currently priced in the Indian two-wheeler market at Rs 2.34 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). There is a healthy possibility that the TVS' flagship will be priced under Rs 2 lakh and hence, will present itself as a more affordable offering in the same segment and that as we all know, could play an important role, especially in a price sensitive country like India.