TVS-E To Export Computer Peripherals To US, Europe

Chennai, Jan 30: | Updated: Jan 31 2004, 05:30am hrs
TVS-Electronics will increasingly focus on supplying consumables for the dot matrix printers. The company is also considering export of computer peripherals to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the US and Europe.

"The dot matrix printer market has been growing at an average of five to 10 per cent every year. Computer peripherals have been one of the growth engines for TVS. What is more, computer peripherals like printer heads and ribbons account for 70 per cent of the manufacturing cost of computers. We therefore see a huge potential for growth in this particular segment," Mr Srini Nageshwar, director, TVS-Electronics said.

Addressing mediapersons here on Friday, Mr Nageshwar said that according to an IDC report, 84 per cent of the printer consumable market is unorganised. "We are trying to tap the remaining 16 per cent of the organised market. Presently, the size of the printer market in India is Rs 400 crore. TVS has a market share of Rs 150 crore. In that sense, we are the leaders. Further, the size of the computer peripheral market has been estimated at Rs 100 crore in which TVS-E's share is only Rs 8 crore. We are looking at substantially strengthening our market position in this segment," he added.

The products will be sold through a supply channel. Over the next 18 months, the company would be setting up 1,500 points of sale across the country.

"We will be focussing on building awareness about computer peripherals and concomitantly creating demand for the products. Presently, the unorganised sector supplies low quality consumable at cheap rates which doea not last long. We have to break through this sector. Bascially, we will be targetting two customer segments which includes the owners of TVS-E products and owners of non-TVS-E products like Wipro and Epson printers.