States can partially acquire land for SEZs, industries: GoM

Written by Economy Bureau | New Delhi, Aug 30 | Updated: Aug 31 2007, 04:51am hrs
A group of ministers (GoM), working on finalisation of relief and rehabiliation policy on Thursday said state governments could acquire 30% of the land on behalf of the project developer of an industrial project or special economic zone (SEZ) if the developer has acquired the remaining 70%.

The GoM, headed by agriculture minister Sharad Pawar and comprising commerce and industry minister Kamal Nath, and science and technology minister Kapil Sibal, was constituted to frame a relief and rehabilitation policy for the people affected by land acquisition for SEZs and industrial projects.

Earlier, the Centre had directed states not to acquire land on behalf of the developers setting up industrial project and SEZs, following agitation by farmers and social activists across the country, including Nandigram and Singur in West Bengal, besides in Haryana and Maharashtra. The GoM is said to have considered proposals to permit states to acquire upto 50% of land on behalf of developers as there were several project which were affected by the Centres decision to ban states such land acquisition.