SEZ policy is here to stay: Nath

Mumbai, May 29 | Updated: May 30 2007, 05:30am hrs
Despite the increasing controversy over land acquisition for various SEZs across the country, commerce and industry minister Kamal Nath on Tuesday said the SEZ policy would remain in place.

Regarding the compulsory acquisition of land, Nath said the government has already made it clear that it would not be acquire land without taking locals into confidence. On the UP government's move to refer the Anil Ambani controlled Reliance-Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group's Noida SEZ plan to the Centre on the issue of contiguity, the minister said his ministry has received the UP government's missive and it was looking into the matter.

Nath was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the third GCC-India investment conference. In the beginning, the commerce minister said SEZs in India and China cannot be compared, since Chinese SEZs are few in number while in India the number is huge and the land size differs from one SEZ to the other.

Earlier, the commerce ministry said in its presentation that so far 252 SEZs have been granted formal approval, of which 11 are multi-product SEZs, 88 sector-specific SEZs and other SEZs. So far Rs 35,000 crore has been invested in the development of new SEZs.