Reliance Backs Trai In Telecom Tariff Tangle

Mumbai: | Updated: Jan 29 2003, 05:30am hrs
Virtually rallying behind the Telecom Regulatory of India (Trai) in the midst of the tariff controversy, Reliance Infocomm on Tuesday welcomed the new pricing norms and said it would not pass on the hike to consumers for its different services including limited mobility.

We welcome Trais new tariff regime and now we expect business colleagues (cellular operators) will maintain the environment conducive to growth of telecom services, Reliance Infocomm executive director Manoj Modi said.

Reliance is the first major telecom operator to have supported Trais tariff package announced last week even as the apex associations of both basic and cellular operators shunned comments on the ground that they were still assessing the impact.

Having grabbed 18 telecom circles for basic services, Reliance is perhaps in the most coveted position after public sector giant Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) in terms of the spread network, although the Rs 65,000 corporate giant was accused of soft bidding for cellular licences that were put on the block two years ago.

Reliance has already announced its wireless in local loop services averaging a tariff of Rs 0.40 per minute which practically provoked cellular operators to take up cudgels against Trai, accused of favouritism by the cellular industry.

Mr Modi said, We had announced at the time of the launch of our services last month that any increase in the cost, as Trai was in the process to announce new tariffs, will not be passed on to the subscribers.

PTI