Qantas cancels orders for 15 Boeing 787s

Written by Associated Press | Sydney | Updated: Jun 27 2009, 02:04am hrs
Qantas Airways Ltd said today it had canceled orders for 15 Boeing 787s and delayed the delivery of a further 15 aircraft due to turbulent market conditions.

Still, Boeing noted that Qantas remains a big customer. Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce said the decision had not been influenced by Boeing's announcement earlier this week of a design issue in the 787 and further delay to the aircraft's first flight.

He said discussions with Boeing about the order had started some months ago. Qantas said it had reached a mutual agreement with Chicago-based Boeing Co to defer the delivery of 15 Boeing 787-8 aircraft by four years and cancel orders for 15 Boeing 787-9s (which are slightly larger) scheduled for delivery in 2014 and 2015.

Joyce said Qantas remained committed to the 787 as the right choice for the international expansion of Jetstar, its low-cost subsidiary, and as an eventual replacement for Qantas' Boeing 767 fleet.