Noida to get its Metro share

New Delhi, March 30 | Updated: Mar 31 2006, 05:30am hrs
After a lot of hype, hoopla and bureaucratic dithering over the Noida metro for nearly 2 years, Noida will indeed find its place on Delhi Metros map.

DMRC has sent the detailed project report (DPR) to the urban development ministry for approval. The line is touted to be on ground by the Commonwealth Games 2010.

Noida Authority has decided to fund 80% of cost for the metro line from New Ashok Nagar to Noida. While the rest 20% will be funded by the urban development ministry in form of grants, as opposed to equity, as in the case of Delhi Metro.

The DPR has taken much time to come for the approval. But, stress would be laid on getting it done fast. It is the states demand to have the line working before the advent of the Commonwealth Games 2010, said a senior urban development ministry official.

Noida would be first region in NCR that will have the metro rail facility. Earlier, it was decided to end the metro line at the New Ashok Nagar area. But later, the UP government evinced interest in the metro link and doled out funds for making DPR.

The cost of the metro line is set to be shared between UP government and the Centre and the UP government would not have a say in the management of the metro

According to the metro officials, as soon as they get an approval from the Centre, they will start the work on a fast track basis. Metro is learnt to have inspected the land and tested ground surface, on which the Metro is going to be constructed.

It has been 3 days, we have sent the noida study to ministry for approval. It is hoped the project will secure the much needed approval, said director (projects and planning), DMRC.