Mining scam: Karnataka govt initiates action against 182 officials

Written by fe Bureau | Bangalore | Updated: Oct 29 2011, 07:14am hrs
The Karnataka government on Friday said that it has initiated action against 182 government officials who had been named in the Lokayukta report on illegal mining.

The state cabinet which met on Friday approved the recommendations of a panel formed to study the findings of the Lokayukta inquiry. The mining report had pointed out to the involvement of over 600 officials in irregularities in iron-ore mining and export that had caused an estimated loss of Rs 16,085 crore to the state.

It had also indicted several politicians and ministers including former Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa who was forced to step down from the post after the report was submitted in July.

The government said at least 447 officials have been identified including three IAS and four Indian Forest Service officers.

The panel, led by additional Chief Secretary K Jairaj, has recommended setting up a special investigation team for a further probe based on the Lokayukta's findings and to initiate criminal cases. Karnataka Urban Development minister Suresh Kumar said that the government will initiate civil cases against the government officials while it will also consider bringing in an appropriate legal framework to recover losses from the officials. He added that a high powered committee will be formed to coordinate the actions recommended by the panel.