In Brief

Written by fe Bureaus | Updated: Oct 29 2009, 05:50am hrs
Cement firm denied access to HP sanctuary

New Delhi: The Centre has turned down a proposal by Himachal Pradesh to allow a private cement firm to withdraw water from a wildlife sanctuary for commercial use as well providing water to the public. Himachal Pradesh was keen that cement-making company Ambuja Cement be allowed to extract water and lay pipeline from Majthal Wildlife Sanctuary to its cement plant for expansion plans. "Its contention was that the Ambuja Cement in the process would provide at least 75 % of total water withdrawn for public consumption and the remaining (25 %) for its plant," the official said.

Loan waiver plan for Haryana labourers

Chandigarh: The Haryana government will soon launch a State Cooperative Banks Loan and Interest Waiver Scheme for the landless labourers, rural artisans and petty shopkeepers, set up a State Farmers Commission, and offer full fee concession to women studying in government polytechnics and ITIs. The State Cooperative Banks Loan and Interest Waiver Scheme would provide for waiver of principal amount up to Rs 10,000 and interest thereon.

Punjab to provide safe drinking water

Chandigarh: Punjab aims to providing safe drinking water and basic amenities to entire rural population of 14,605 villages and dhanis (clusters) in by March 2012. CM Parkash Singh Badal said, Out of these, 14,605 villages and dhanis, 8,418 have been covered, and the remaining 3,699 are under partially covered and 2,488 not covered (NC).