* In general, choose a diet that is based on whole grains, pulses, vegetables, fruits, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, fish and lean meats. These will provide you some key nutrients at this stage of your life like vitamin B, C, zinc, calcium, folic acid and essential fats like omega-3 fats.
* Look out for multigrain chapattis, whole wheat breads, brown rice, mueslis and pulses.
* Snack on fresh fruits, dry fruits, salads, soups, yogurt, nuts and seeds.
* Keep away from sweets, and added sugars in drinks and juices. Avoid bakery products and limit tea, coffee and alcohol.
* Eating small amounts but frequently helps keeping weight under check.
* Follow the principle of balance and moderation. There may be days when you may be surrounded with unhealthy food and compelled to have it. Follow the principle of moderation by eating fraction of what you would normally eat or balance by eating less subsequently.
* Plan your days in advance with respect to food. Depending on where you are likely to be through the day, plan and allocate calorie allowance accordingly. When out shopping, ensure you carry healthy snacks with you. Dont forget to drink water.
* Under no circumstances, load up at night especially with sweets, alcohol or high starch food.
* Reduce the number of social activities around food. Plan a coffee or a walk.
* Most ceremonies require you to eat sweets. You may do this through healthier options such as dates, figs, apricots, raisins, dark chocolate etc. or keep to small bites. Do account for these extras.
* Start your day with a breakfast, even if it is a light one.
* Your moods can affect your food intake. You may reach out for sweets, chocolates and starchy foods for comfort. Identify your cravings and satisfy them suitably. Distraction is a smart way to save yourself from unnecessary binging.
* Learn the distinction between physiological and psychological hunger.
* Physical activity is critical. It will not only help you shed flab but also make you look fresh and radiant. It may be a good idea to do it together with your partner.
* Get unhealthy food out of the environment. Stock-up healthy.
n In a social gathering, if you wish to avoid but find it hard to resist, move away from the food section.
* Plenty of water and fluids are essential for digestion. Adequate fluid helps in keeping appetite under check and giving you a healthy skin.