Defence personnel to get part of pay arrears this week

New Delhi, Sep 27 | Updated: Sep 28 2008, 06:01am hrs
With the delay in working out their revised pay scales, the government on Saturday decided to make ad-hoc payment of arrears for the current year for all ranks of the defence forces within a week.

As the defence forces would submit their salary bills late, it will take sometime for calculating their 40% arrears of the revised pay scales under the 6th Central Pay Commission (CPC) to be paid this year. Hence, the government has decided to make part payment in October and later adjust it in the final amount, a defence ministry official said.

President Pratibha Patil on Saturday gave her sanction to the order, aimed at helping the defence personnel to manage their Diwali expenses this year, sources said.

The government had announced that it would pay 40% of the CPC arrears under the CPC that came into effect retrospectively from January 1, 2006, in cash to the five million government employees this year and the rest 60% in the next fiscal.

While the 3.5 million employees from other ministries would get their 40% arrears in cash this October one, the defence personnels arrears could be delayed up to November, in view of the delay in submitting their salary vouchers to the defence ministry. Under the present ad-hoc arrears order, the government has decided to pay Lieutenants and equivalent in Navy, Air Force and military nursing services (MNS) Rs 55,000.

Regular defence forces Captains and equivalents would get Rs 65,000, while their MNS counterparts Rs 62,000. Regular Majors in forces would be paid Rs 70,000 and their nursing counterparts Rs 65,000.

While regular Lieutenant Colonels would receive Rs 80,000, their Nursing counterparts Rs 71,000.

The government would also pay Rs 1.5 lakh as ad-hoc arrears to regular Colonels, their equivalent in MNS would get Rs 1.4 lakh.

Brigadier and equivalent in Navy and Air Force would be paid Rs 1.6 lakh, the nursing Brigadiers would get Rs 1.5 lakh as arrears. While the defence forces regular Major Generals would be paid Rs 1.75 lakh, their

MNS equivalent would get Rs 1.65 lakh.

The Army Lt Generals, Navy Vice Admirals and IAF Air Marshals would get ad-hoc arrears of Rs 2.25 lakh. The non-combatant employees in the armed forces would get Rs 20,000 as arrears, the government said.

Sepoys (Rs 25,000), Naiks (Rs 30,000), Havildars (Rs 32,000), Naib Subedars (Rs 48,000), Subedars (Rs 48,000), Subedar Majors (Rs 50,000), would be the arrears for the personnel below officer rank, the government added.

The Honorary Commissioned Officers would receive arrears as per the ranks they held on January 1, 2006, when the CPC came into effect.

PTI