Chidambaram regrets 08 Kandhamal violence

Written by Press Trust of India | Bhubaneswar | Updated: Jun 28 2009, 04:29am hrs
The Centre on Friday hit out at the Orissa government for the failure to contain the regrettable and condemnable Kandhamal violence for over a month since it erupted in August last year.

What happened on August 23 and thereafter was regrettable and condemnable. Moreover, it was the failure of the police for 30 to 40 days, Home minister P Chidambaram said after meeting chief minister Naveen Patnaik.

He said the situation in the riot-torn district was returning to normal. Now the situation is returning to normal but we cannot lower our guard, he said.

About increasing activities of Naxals in the state, Chidambaram said, our response to Left wing extremism is that there is no room for violence. The CPI(Maoist) was and is a terrorist organisation and we will not yield any ground to the CPI(Maoist). We will resolutely oppose it and ensure that all violence ends. The home minister said he has assured the chief minister of help to tackle Maoists in the state. The home minister, who is on his first visit to Orissa after the Lok Sabha polls, patiently listened to the plight of the victims living in the camps. Bringing back all displaced is our endeavour.

What happened was wrong. Over 4,620 families were affected out of which the majority have returned. Now only a fewapproximately 1,500have to go back, he said.

On some residents' complaint that the state government's relief of Rs.10,000 was inadequate, Chidambaram assured them that he would take up the matter during his meeting with chief minister Naveen Patnaik.

Christians are living all over the country and it is not correct to say they are not being protected, he said.