SC Aggarwal, New Delhi
Cement the gains
Surely, the FM will address serious macroeconomic issues in his forthcoming Budget. However, the following are must-dos:
1. Bring down the fiscal deficit and revenue deficit to levels envisaged in FRBM Act
2. Contain inflation
3. Ensure gainful deployment of forex reserves
4. Support infrastructure projects by cutting central exercise on steel and cement
5. Withdraw dividend distribution tax, as it amounts to double taxation, and surcharge on income tax
6. Prepare a roadmap for eliminating subsidies
7. Increase the IT exemption limit for individuals.
R Gopalakrishnan, Vishwamber Cements Ltd
Hopefully, music will lead to a thaw in relations between North Korea and the US (World view, Feb 28). Cricket helped forge better Indo-Pak ties. If successful, music diplomacy can serve as a good model for others, such as the US and Iran, Turkey and the Kurds, or Israel and Palestinians.
Rajendra K Aneja, Dubai