1. US open for discussion with North Korea: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

US open for discussion with North Korea: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that the United State is open for discussion with North Korea.

By: | Washington Dc | Published: August 23, 2017 10:38 AM
Rex Tillerson, Rex Tillerson news, us, united states, rex tillerson news, north korea, north korea news, talks with north korea, kim jong un, donald trump US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that the United State is open for discussion with North Korea. Tillerson made this comment about the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) while talking to the reporters about the Trump administration’s strategy in Afghanistan.
“I think it is worth noting, we have had no missile launches or provocative acts on the part of, or provocative actions, on the part of North Korea since the UN Security Council resolution” sanctioning Pyongyang on August 5,” CNN quoted Tillerson as saying. “I am pleased to see that the regime in Pyongyang has demonstrated restraint,” Tillerson said.
“We hope this is the signal we have been looking for, that they are ready to restrain provocative acts. And perhaps we are seeing a pathway in the near future to having some dialogue.” Tillerson made the remarks a day after the US began yearly military exercises with South Korea which often annoy the DPRK.
The Secretary of State also spoke just hours after the Treasury Department declared the new sanctions against Russian and Chinese companies that carry out business with North Korea, enabling it to fund its ballistic missile and nuclear programmes, CNN reported. The tension in Asia was on rim in July, after North Korea tested two ICBM missiles that could in theory reach the US mainland.
Then again the tensions soared in early August after Trump declared that North Korea would face “fire and fury like the world has never seen” if it continued to threaten the US. Pyongyang responded the next day with more threats, including a warning that it would target Guam. The threats have only continued. Trump had earlier warned North Korea, saying that Pyongyang will face “fire and fury” if it continues to threaten the U.S.
However, North Korea has termed Trump’s warning of “fire and fury” against Pyongyang a “load of nonsense.”
But as Tillerson pointed out Tuesday, the DPRK has not taken any action. “I want to take note of that and acknowledge it,” Tillerson said. “We need to see more on their part but I want to it acknowledge the steps they have taken thus far. That it’s important to take note of it.”
  1. No Comments.

Go to Top