The US government is temporarily barring passengers on certain flights originating in nine other countries from bringing laptops, iPads, cameras and most other electronics in carry-on luggage. The reason for the ban is not immediately clear. The ban was revealed Monday in statements from Royal Jordanian Airlines and the official news agency of Saudi Arabia. “The US government is barring passengers on Royal Jordanian Airlines flights from bringing laptops, iPads, cameras and other electronics in carry-on luggage on certain US-bound flights starting today”, the airline has said in a tweet. Royal Jordanian said the electronics ban affects its flights to New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Montreal. Here are 5 things to know about the ban:
1) The ban, which seeks to bolster airline security, is to go into effect on Tuesday after the Transportation Security Administration informs the affected airlines.
2) The ban is indefinite and will affect nine airlines in total.
3) The ban would begin just before Wednesday’s meeting of the US-led coalition against the Islamic State group in Washington. A number of top Arab officials were expected to attend the State Department gathering. It was unclear whether their travel plans were related to any increased worry about security threats.
You may also like to watch:
4) According to a US official the ban will apply to nonstop flights to the US from these international airports serving the cities of Cairo in Egypt; Amman in Jordan; Kuwait City in Kuwait; Casablanca in Morocco; Doha in Qatar; Riyadh and Jeddah in Saudi Arabia; Istanbul in Turkey; and Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
5) The Dubai-based Emirates said on Tuesday that it would comply with any new operational or regulatory policies but it so far has “not received any notification of changes to cabin luggage restrictions on US flights.” The government-backed airline operates daily flights from Dubai International Airport to multiple American cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington.
This ban comes after the US canceled 60,000 visas since President Donald Trump signed the controversial immigration order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries. The order signed by Trump last week imposes a 90-day pause on the entry into the US of nationals from Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen.