The Midwest medical examiner’s office has recently confirmed that Prince died of an opioid overdose.
The single-page report, which was issued overnight, more than a month after the music superstar was found dead at his Paisley Park mansion, said Prince “self-administered fentanyl,” referring to a synthetic opioid many times more potent than heroin, News.com.au reported.
The report, which was signed by Quinn Strobl, the office’s chief medical examiner, included only the manner and cause of death and the office said that all other medical examiner data is considered nonpublic under Minnesota state law.
It also listed the clothing the pop star was wearing at the time of death: a black shirt and pants and a black cap.
The 57-year-old musician’s death came less than a week after his plane made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois, for medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert.