Terrorists attacked a shopping centre in the German city of Munich killing several people and injuring many. German media reported multiple deaths as terrified shoppers were evacuated from the mall. Authorities in Munich asked people not to post photos or videos of police operations online. German authorities had warned of attacks after an Afghan teen injured many people in a train with an axe in Bavaria on Monday. Since then the German security forces have been on alert; unconfirmed reports say that the Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the attack. Shooting was initially reported at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping centre in the Munich’s Moosach district. Police have since declared this as a terror attack.
News agency AFP quoting German authorities reported that there were atleast three gunmen involved in the attack. Munich Police in a tweet said, “Unconfirmed reports of more violence and possible gunfire in the City Center. Situation is unclear. Please avoid public Areas.” Europe has been under high alert after terror attacks in France and Belgium led to the death of many people. This was the third major act of violence against civilians to take place in Europe in eight days. Previous attacks in France and Belgium were claimed by the Islamic State militant group. ISIS claimed responsibility for all the attacks. As soon as the attacks started #Munich and #Prayfor Munich started trending on Twitter. Many residents in Munich opened their homes for anyone stranded in the city due to the shootings. People were asked to contact by using the hashtag #OffeneTür or #opendoor on social media. Here we take a look at some of the tweets.
Jelena Vukadinovic, @jelena_v89
If anyone in #böhmerwaldplatz area needs a place to stay right now, tweet me #offenetür#opendoors #munich #münchen
David Dao, @daviddao
#Munich – please guys, don’t record the police. Gun men are still on the run and you would just help them.
Scottish National Party MP Tasmina Sheikh, @TasminaSheikh had this to tweet:
Awful news unfolding from #Munich. Thoughts with all those affected and the emergency services.
Unverified footage showed a man shooting in front of a McDonald’s restaurant in Munich. German media reported that there were no arrests and the number of deaths vary from 1 to 15
Ulrike Riess, @uriess
My family and I are safe. Hope everyone else is too. #Munich
Another tweet from magdalena, @MillieBookrauhl said
I’m scared. In what kind of world are we living? The fact that I or anyone I know could’ve been there makes my heart wrench #Munich
There were reports of mass casualties event being triggered in Munich and all doctors were ordered to move to their emergency stations. Friday’s shooting is first terror attack in Munich since 1972 Olympics hostage situation.