In what is being taken as a terror attack by the London Metropolitan Police, a number of people have been injured and the lone wolf gunman has been shot dead by cops who reacted instantly to the changing situation on the streets. London city is under lockdown and reportedly Prime Minister Theresa May was not too far from the area where the shooting happened. There were a huge number of people in the area including tourists when the attack happened. Intriguingly, exactly a year ago Brussels airport was bombed with a huge number of innocent people killed. As many as 4 people have died and 20 have been injured in the attack.
Here is how the attack played out:
1. There was a loud bang and a man crashed a car into pedestrians. The man was initially zig-zagging in a 4×4 SUV and mowed down a number of people including schoolchildren before he hit the railings of the Westminster bridge – a woman reportedly died there. He came out of the car and had a knife. The man came out with a big knife and just plunged it into a policeman. That was when he was shot dead by the police – however, he did stab at least one cop.
2. London’s police said officers had been called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge, near the Parliament. Witnesses reported hearing sounds like gunfire nearby.
A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people. pic.twitter.com/tdCR9I0NgJ
— Radosław Sikorski (@sikorskiradek) March 22, 2017
3. Witnesses said a vehicle struck several people on the bridge, and photos showed a car plowed into railings of Westminster Bridge.
4. Officials say a man with a knife attacked a police officer at Parliament and was shot by officers.
5. The leader of Britain’s House of Commons says a man attacked a police officer at Parliament and has been shot by police.
6. Polish foreign minister Radoslaw Sikorski posted a video on Twitter and told the BBC he “heard what I thought what I thought was just a collision and then I looked through the window of the taxi and someone down, obviously in great distress.
LIVE: British police say they are treating incident near parliament as ‘terrorist’ incident until know otherwise. http://t.co/08azwmRtbk pic.twitter.com/xGJJkfew76
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) March 22, 2017
7. Sikorski, a senior fellow at the Harvard Centre for European Studies, says he saw at least five people lying on the ground after being “mown down” by a car.
8. “Then I saw a second person down, and I started filming, then I saw three more people down, one of them bleeding profusely.”
9. London police say they are treating a gun and knife incident at Britain’s Parliament “as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise.”
(With inputs from AP)