James Comey testimony: In probably the most eagerly anticipated US congressional hearing in years, sacked FBI head faced lawmakers on Thursday. In a hearing that may raise more than a few eyebrows, Comey reportedly said that the Trump administration had told lies and defamed him and the FBI after the US President Donald Trump fired him on May 9, according to a report by news agency Reuters. Comey added that he was disturbed when asked to drop a probe into the former National Security Adviser by President Trump. From accusing Trump to addressing the Russia issue, James Comey talked about a number of issues. Here are 5 key takeaways from his US congressional hearing:
1. Even though Comey refused to interrupt his meeting with Donald Trump, he did call it a very disturbing incident. “I don’t think it’s for me to say whether the conversation I had with the president was an effort to obstruct. I took it as a very disturbing thing, very concerning,” Comey told the lawmakers. In his written testimony on Wednesday, Comey had mentioned that Trump had asked him to drop an FBI investigation of former national security adviser Michael Flynn in February.
2. He accused the Trump administration of defaming him. “Although the law required no reason at all to fire the FBI director, the administration then chose to defame me and more importantly the FBI by saying that the organisation was in disarray, that the workforce had lost confidence in its leader,” Comey said. He called those statements lies, plain and simple.
3. Further talking about his meeting with Donald Trump, Comey said he never initiated a communication with the US President. He further added that Trump’s assertation that Comey requested a dinner with him was untrue.
4. Talking about the Russia issue, Comey said he did not discuss the Russian interference in the US election with Donald Trump after their first meeting. He added that relationship with Trump didn’t get off to a good start because of their January 6meeting.
5. Comey said that his FBI colleagues were equally shocked and troubled as he was by Trump’s request to drop Flynn probe. Comey added that he thought Trump was trying to a build a relationship of loyalty when asked him to stay as the director at a dinner on January 27.