An Australian man was left with burns and billed more than 1800 dollars after he reportedly claimed that his new branded Samsung Note7 exploded while he was asleep at a hotel room in Perth.
The explosion charred the hotel room, bed sheet and the carpet. One of my finger was also burned when I threw the handset to the floor, Tham Hua, from Victoria state, said.
“My brand new Note 7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in an original Samsung charger,” he was quoted as saying by The Australian.
Some of the 35 cases reported last week overseas also involved handsets plugged into their charger.
The hotel billed him more than AUD 1,800 for damages to the room. He says Samsung has agreed to pay the bill. “Samsung will be taking care of the reimbursement to the damages,” the report quoted him as saying.
Samsung Australia said it is aware of the case and it is currently investigating “a very small number of reported incidents with the Galaxy Note7.”
Globally Samsung is recalling and replacing up to 2.5 million Note7 phones, with a potential billion dollar cost to the South Korean company.
“Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note7 smartphone to power off their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided,” the company said in a statement.