1. Charlotte mayor, chief should quit: Protesters

Charlotte mayor, chief should quit: Protesters

Charlotte police are signaling tougher rules on marchers protesting the shooting death of a black man by police last week.

By: | Charlotte | Published: September 26, 2016 9:10 PM
Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts. (AP) Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts. (AP)

The Latest on protests following the shooting of a man by a Charlotte police officer last week (all times local):

10:30 a.m.

Charlotte police are signaling tougher rules on marchers protesting the shooting death of a black man by police last week.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said Monday four of the 11 people arrested overnight were charged with standing in the street. Police on Sunday stopped blocking downtown traffic to allow marchers to walk in the roadway and directed demonstrators to stay on sidewalks.

Four people were charged with violating a local ordinance against bringing items like backpacks or body armor within a designated zone around the stadium where the NFL’s Carolina Panthers played the Minnesota Vikings. A Charlotte man was charged with carrying a concealed gun into the area.

Charlotte police have arrested more than 70 people since 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was killed Tuesday after a confrontation with Charlotte police.

8:30 a.m.

Some protesters say they will attend a Charlotte City Council meeting and call for the resignation of the mayor and police chief after the shooting of a black man by a black police officer last week.

Protesters told WCNC-TV (http://bit.ly/2d3s5mq) they will attend the meeting at 6:30 p.m. Monday.

The protesters say they are unhappy with how Mayor Jennifer Roberts and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney have handled the investigation of the shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott on Sept. 20.

Police say Scott was a threat and refused to drop a gun despite repeated commands. Family members have said Scott did not have a gun. Police released both a body-camera and dashboard camera video on Saturday but the video does not clearly show if Scott had anything in his hand.

3:10 a.m.

Charlotte lifted its midnight curfew, a sign of the possible calming of the unrest that’s gripped North Carolina’s largest city since the shooting death of a black man by police last week.

A weekend without street violence was highlighted with the city hosting the NFL game between the Carolina Panthers and the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Protests continued for a sixth day since 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed Tuesday after a confrontation with Charlotte police. The first two nights were violent, with more than a dozen police officers injured.

Protesters tried to block traffic on Interstate 277 through the city’s downtown Sunday night. Authorities said one protester was struck by a police all-terrain vehicle, but 26-year-old Donnell Jones of Missouri wasn’t hurt. He was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

  1. No Comments.

Go to Top