After a strong stance coming from US’ State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner on the Mumbai attacks and their inaction on it, Pakistan seems to have tightened their reins. Within 24 hours of Toner’s statement thatthe US has made it very clear that Pakistan needs to go after all the terrorist groups operating in the country over the terrorist attacks, which includes Mumbai attacks, a Pakistani court has issued notice to seven accused of 2008 Mumbai attack case, including LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
The Anti-Terrorism Court in Islamabad has issued notice, the hearing for which will happen on September 22.
Lakhvi, who is alleged to be the mastermind behind the attacks was given bail an year ago and since then has been living at an undisclosed location.
The hearing was held at the at the Adiala Jail Rawalpindi and the further proceedings will see arguments on the inspection of the parking of Al-fauz boat at the port city of Karachi.
The attackers in the Mumbai blasts were said to have taken a boat from their safehouse at Azizabad near Karachi to Mumbai. From there, they departed to plant bombs in various part of the city of Dreams. Only one of the attacker amongst the 10, Ajmal Kasab has survived and was hanged in Yerwada jail in 2012.
After Toner’s statement that the US is looking after all the terrorist groups that are operating or seeking haven in their soil, this development came on behalf of Pakistan.
The Court notice came in response to a plea to examine the Al-Fauz boat, which was used by the LeT terrorists to reach Indian coast. Both the owner and shop from where the boat was bought were said to be found by security agencies working on the case.
The prosecution and defence will present their arguments on September 22. The case has been going on for over 6 years now while the blast took place on November 26, 2008.