To protect the history of the railways, Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus has protected many of the artifacts and equipments from the past in a small museum which was opened in 2010, located on the ground floor. This museum has guided tours where one can find all the minute details of how the Indian Railways was established. The tour commences with the visit to the museum, starting with a miniature model of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway at the entrance. Inside the museum one can check out the collection of old classic telephones, drawing and artwork pictures of old Mumbaiís Indian Peninsular Railway and CST building, an old fan with four wings, the clock which used to be displayed at various stations, bells, signal instruments. Besides the stairway of the building is located some ancient crockery and utilities used by railway officers since 1888 when this UNESCO certified building was made.
The highlights of the museum are the brass bell which was installed in 1866 at Neral Railway Station, the miniature model of the first train which was flagged off, and the ticketing machines of the British era. The tour then continues to the recently opened Star Chamber, this is located on the first floor of the Gothic structure where they have displayed all the original blue prints of the planning of Victoria Terminus, designed by the Frederick William Stevens, the architect of many Gothic style Victoria Terminus. The ceiling of the Star Chamber has hundreds of stars embedded, painted in red vegetable dye and studded with little stars which has real gold in it. The tour ends with a hot piping 'Kullad chai' at the small restroom built for the tourists.
When asked about the tourism footfall of the museum the tour guide exclaimed that many foreign tourists do visit the museum.