India’s national level car racer Ashwin Sundar passed away on Saturday morning in a highly tragic incident. He, along with his wife was charred to death around 3:30 am in the morning after their BMW rammed a roadside tree in Chennai. The couple was trapped inside the car and couldn’t open the doors. Not too many people were able to help them because of the flames. This incident has left the motorsport fraternity shocked. The entire incident was streamed live on Facebook by a passer-by. So, who is Ashwin Sundar? Let’s have a look:
– Ashwin was one of the biggest names in India’s domestic racing arena. Born on 27 July 1985 at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Ashwin had started his professional racing career over 15 years ago at a very young age.
Watch the video of the accident:
— Cutout Works (@CutoutWorks) March 18, 2017
– He rose to fame by winning the 2002 MRF National Go-Kart Championships (U-17 age group) at the age of just 17 years and then went on to win the title again in 2003.
– Ashwin won national championships across different age groups and lifted MRF Formula Mondial National titles in 2003 and 2004.
– By this time, Ashwin had got the attention of many big players of this industry and in 2004, made his debut in the Formula FISSME (800 cc) and Formula LGB series (1000 cc) series. He not only became the youngest Formula LGB driver back then but also finished 4th giving a tough time to other racers.
You may also want to watch:
National car racing champion Ashwin Sundar and his wife charred to death after their car catches fire pic.twitter.com/d62Mm0Imx8
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) March 18, 2017
– In 2006, Ashwin won the 115cc 4-stroke and 150cc 4-stroke titles and named the Champion of Champions. The very next year, he became the first India racer to win both Formula Hyundai and Formula Swift categories.
– He also went to win MRF Formula 1600 International Challenge event in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, Ashwin became the Formula 4 champion.
– He was married to Niveditha Sundar who was a doctor at a private hospital. The couple passed away on 18th March 2017.