IPL Auction 2019: It won’t be wrong to say that Indian Premier League is all about opportunities and those end up grabbing these opportunities are the en up being the real stars. One player who took his chances beautifully in the last season of IPL was Mumbai Indians’ middle-order batsman Nitish Rana. The Delhi boy got a place in the playing XI as Ambati Rayudu got injured but did so well that the latter had to warm the bench even after he had recovered. The southpaw scored 333 runs in 13 matches at an average of 31.21 and strike rate of 128.90. Batting at number 3, the Delhi batsman provided Mumbai with the much needed solidity and it was because of his exploits in the last season that Nitish Rana was bought for Rs 3.40 cr by KKR at IPL auction 2018. In case you are wondering who is Nitish Rana, here are few interesting facts about the southpaw:
1. Nitish Rana was bought for Rs 10 lakh by Mumbai Indians before IPL 205 but didn’t play a single match in that season.
2. Rana represents Delhi in domestic cricket and had made his frirst-class debut in 2015-16. Apart from being an attacking batsman, Rana also has a reputation for being a very good fielder.
3. He had an outstanding debut first-class domestic season and finised as Delhi’s highest run-scorer in the Ranji Trophy with 557 runs at an average of over 50. Rana showed his Twenty20 prowess that season during the inter-state tournament, scoring 299 runs and topping the table for the most sixes hit with 21.
4. In 2016, he played four matches for Mumbai Indians, scoring 104 runs with the highest score of 70. He was rate very high by former Delhi captain Gautam Gambhir who even criticised coach KP Bhaskar once for dropping Rana from Delhi’s team.
5. He didn’t have a very good domestic T20 season this year for Delhi, with Gautam Gambhir, Rishabh Pant and Dhruv Shorey doing most of the scoring for Delhi. But, IPL 2018 will give Nitish Rana yet another opportunity to impress the selectors.