India vs Pakistan Final, ICC Champions Trophy: 2007 marked the beginning of a new era in Indian cricket when Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led team defeated Pakistan in the first ever T20 World Cup Final. 10 years later, when Dhoni is at the dusk of his career, both the teams will meet again in their first ever 50-over ICC Final but this time with Virat Kohli as captain. All eyes will be glued to the television sets when India vs Pakistan ICC Champions Trophy Final starts in Edgbaston, Birmingham today afternoon at 3 pm. But, interestingly, there are some striking similarities between the two finals. Check them out:
1. The 2007 T20 World Cup was Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s first tournament as India’s captain. He led a young side in South Africa and guided them to victory. The ICC Champions Trophy is Virat Kohli’s first tournament as captain and he too, will face Pakistan in the final.
2. In both the World Cups, India and Pakistan were placed in the same group which means that they faced each other twice in the tournament bringing more happiness for the cricket fans.
3. In the 2007 World Cup, India defeated Pakistan in the group match. Back then, the result was decided by ball-out and even in this year’s tournament, India defeated Pakistan in the group match by 124 runs. In both the matches Pakistan won the toss and asked India to bat first.
4. In both the tournaments India had a South African connection. In the 2007 World Cup, India defeated South Africa in a do-or-die Super 6 match to qualify for the semi-final and they did the same in the ICC Champions Trophy but in the group round.
You can also watch
5. If that surprises you, India had the exact same record in both the World Cups leading to the final. In both the tournaments, men in blue lost just one match. In 2007 World Cup, the defeat came at the hands of New Zealand while this year it was Sri Lanka that got better of Virat Kohli and co.