Not Apple or Samsung, this is the fastest growing mobile brand in the world
International Data Corporation (IDC) has revealed that smartphone makers have shipped a total of 341.6 million devices globally in the second quarter of 2017. The report said that shipments have declined by 1.3 percent from the same quarter a year ago. However, leading mobile brands saw positive growth. While gaints like Apple and Samsung held on to their constant market share, other companies like Huawei, OPPO, and Xiaomi made solid strides forward. Here is the list of mobile brands in the ranking. Check out the fastest growing company in the world.
Samsung: The Korean tech giant maintains its position in as the world leader with 23.3 percent market share. However, its growth has been 1.4 percent. The Galaxy S8 series of smartphones helped in Samsung's sales this quarter. The company introduced the new norm of 18:9 aspect ratio phones and the impact can be seen in other brands as well. Meanwhile, even the A and J lineup of phones were a hit among the masses. Now, all eyes are set on the Galaxy Note 8 sales. (Source: Reuters)
Apple: According to the report, the Cupertino giant shipped 41.0 million iPhones in the second quarter. It showed a mild 1.5 percent year-over-year growth. With the new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, Apple expects the next few months to be a hit. After introducing a bezel-less phone, wireless charging, and face recognition technology, other phone makers are expected to follow the trend too.
Huawei: Huawei has held onto its third position, and the success can be attributed to the strong sales it generated in China and many European markets. Huawei has seen a 19.6 percent year-over-year growth. It has also improved its market share by two full percentage points. While its mid-range devices have been a success, it has witnessed good sales in terms of the P10, Mate 9 phones as well. But in order to topple Apple/Samsung, it needs to focus more on the US market. (AP Photo)
OPPO: It has remained in the 4th position while moving its overall share up 1.5 percentage points to 8.1 percent. The Chinese manufacturer has been expanding its international business, and its initial focus is on the Southasian Market. In India, OPPO has opened many new service centres as well as several exclusive retail stores. (Reuters)
Xiaomi: Xiaomi has yet again made it to the top 5, toppling Vivo by a small margin. Xiaomi's year-over-year growth has been a whopping 58.9 percent, making it the fastest growing smartphone brand worldwide. The company had recently said that it shipped a massive 10 million phones just in September. When it comes to India, Xiaomi has been really aggressive with its below the line marketing strategies and expanding its offline presence as well. (Reuters)
Here is the full list of smartphone brands ranked by IDC based on shipments, market share, and year-over-year growth for Q2 2017.
More from this section
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look
- Diwali 2017 celebrations: From Delhi, Gujarat to Karnataka, watch amazing pictures