Android Oreo: List of smartphones to get the new OS, check if your mobile is on the list
Google has officially launched the Android Oreo, which is the latest version of the OS. The announcement was made by Google in New York. Android O or Android Oreo is essentially Android 8.0. The latest version will be available for smartphones all over the world, including India. Interestingly, not many smartphones have updated to Android Nougat itself, by now. Most users still dwell on the Android Marshmallow or Lollypop. So, it will be interesting to see which smartphones are compatible with the Android 8.0 Oreo.
Pixel, Nexus devices: Pixel and Nexus devices were eligible for the Android O public beta program. If you are a Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player and Pixel C tablet user and had installed the Android beta build, you should get the Android Oreo final version by now. Google has said that the image file can be downloaded and installed manually. But if you did not have the beta build, you will have to wait, as Google is still working on the final build.
Nokia smartphones: The initial list posted by Google has the name HMD Global. This Finnish company manufactures and sells phones under the Nokia brand now, after Microsoft. The company, during the launch of Nokia 8, had said that it will be one of the initial devices which will get Android Oreo. HMD Global had claimed that it is already 'deep in development' with Android, for the specific mobile. It promised that the roll out will come soon. The latest Android version will come to the Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and Nokia 6 devices too.
Essential PH-1 smartphone: Andy Rubin, the man who co-founded Android itself, has a new phone called Essential. The Essential PH-1 module mobile has been priced at $699. According to Google, this is one of the companies which has been working on developing the Android O.
OnePlus: Chinese manufacturer OnePlus has promised an Android O update for its most popular device. We can expect the update for OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T and the new OnePlus 5 phone soon.
Other smartphones: Google has mentioned the following brands- Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Huawei, Kyocera, Sony General Mobile, and Sharp. The company said that these manufacturers will get Android 8.0 Oreo on their selected smartphones or upgrade to the latest version. Samsung is expected to get the Android O in the Galaxy Note 8 phone which will launch soon. It will also get Android 8 update to the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus too. While Sony may get it in its Xperia XZ series, HTC will get it for the premium H11 phone. Even LG and Lenovo smartphone users should expect a Android O announcement soon.
More from this section
- Bihar TET Result 2017: Teacher Eligibility Test scores declared at bsebonline.net, biharboard.ac.in; visit official website to check
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Day 1, Top 10 mobiles from Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, with best offers, discounts
- In pics: Rahul Gandhi dares Narendra Modi in US, hopes to create ripples in India
- IBPS PO Preliminary Online Exam 2017 Call Letter now available at ibps.in, visit official website to download now!
- An entire country goes dark: Puerto Rico without power as Hurricane Maria strikes; take a look
- SSC CGL 2017: Candidates find level of test difficult, demand normalisation of scores
- HBSE Open Admit Card 2017 for class 10th, 12th now available at bseh.org.in, visit official website to download
- Swach Bharat Abhiyan! Indian Army carries out cleanliness drive at Siachen, world’s highest battlefield; see pictures
- India’s big diplomacy push in Middle East! Indian submarine, warships & reconnaissance aircraft on deployment