Ringing Bells Freedom 251 mobile row: Telecom ministry price-tags smartphone between Rs 2,300 to Rs 2,400
Ringing Bells Freedom 251 priced at Rs 251 has raised a few eyebrows in the telecom ministry, which then decided to carry out an inquiry to decide if the company could indeed sell the mobile phone at that sensational price point without any extraneous interventions. This became necessary as many interested parties, including the industry body raised objections after hundreds of thousands of people sought to procure the phone whose specifications and features were of a kind that should have raised the price into the thousands rather than hundreds.
The Telecom ministry's scanner on Ringing Bells 'Freedom251' mobile led to the discovery that though the mobile phone was being touted as the world's cheapest smartphone, the actual price of the phone should not have been anythong less than Rs 2,300 and in fact should have been ideally tagged as a Rs 2,400 device. "An internal assessment was done by the telecom ministry from the day the phone was launched. Officials have found that such a handset cannot be offered for less than Rs.2,300-2,400," an official source said.
Ringing Bells President Ashok Chandha has promised to deliver the world's cheapest and 'Make in India' 'Freedom 251' mobile by April 10 and finish well before the June 30 deadline. Ringing Bells has claimed to have received over 5 crore registrations within two days of opening up online bookings.
Ringing Bells Ashok Chadha said that the company will hand over 25 lakh 'Freedom 251' mobiles to the people who have registered for it online initially. The company has claimed that the Freedom 251 mobile has been developed "with immense support" from the government.
Ringing Bells 'Freedom 251' mobile has a Android 5.1 operating system, a 4-inch qHD IPS display, a 3.2-megapixel primary and a 0.3-megapixel front camera. The smartphone comes with pre-installed apps like Swachh Bharat, Women Safety, WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter, among others.
More from this section
- China targeting another island in South China Sea? See pics
- US Navy to launch fleet-wide probe after USS John McCain collision; see pics
- Delhi IGI Airport Terminal 2: From October 2017, use this revamped swanky T2 for domestic flights
- Screenwars this Friday, 10 films set for release, from Babumoshai, Qaidi Band to Terminator 3D, check out full list
- Solar Eclipse: Ten stunning images from the celestial event
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Wonder-struck, millions watch total eclipse as moon blanks out sun, rings in darkness in middle of morning; watch photos
- Chandigarh flood: Heavy rain overwhelms city infra, causes 3-km long traffic jams; waist high water in many areas
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau attends India Day parade in Montreal; see pics
- London’s iconic Big Ben to go silent for repairs until 2021; see pics