MS Dhoni: The Untold Story box office collection: Sushant Singh Rajput starrer all set to enter Rs 100 cr club
With just Mirzya to battle in theatres, and it will not be a big fight as the Harshvardhan Kapoor, Saiyami Kher love story, which released today, has been roundly panned by critics, Dhoni film is virtually guaranteed an entry into the Rs 100 crore club. Surely this is a fitting tribute to an iconic sportsman. Dhoni has given millions of people across the world, in India in particular, the greatest of pleasures, time and again over the years, and a biopic on the man ought to be watched by all cinema lovers. However, the fact that its collections are still rising is a surprise, perhaps as big as the one of Dhoni movie actually becoming a hit - its prediction was for an average performance. MS Dhoni collection figure is Rs 94.13 cr from the Indian market alone by day 7 and the overall total is at Rs 152.65 cr. The film stars Sushant Singh Rajput, Kiara Advani and Anupam Kher.
What is ensuring cinema seats remain filled in large enough numbers to watch the MS Dhoni film is the fact that there is barely any competition from other standout movies. However, more than that, the abiding interest in cricket in the population of the country, Dhoni's retirement and that he mostly kept his private life a secret throughout his career, has ignited immense interest in the public. The Indian cricket lover wants to know what Dhoni was all about away from the field of play. That his career did not really have too many controversies, also make him a person of interest for cricket lovers. (Photo - Bollywood Hungama)
That Dhoni collection is set to hit the Rs 100 cr mark is great news for Bollywood. It has been struggling to churn out hits throughout the year, yet Bollywood managed just a few and that too few and far between. The superstars have come and gone in the year but few have made an impression on the BO. Also, there have been very few surprise films in 2016. With this biopic's success, perhaps it has opened another segment that Bollywood will look at more frequently and churn out movies on iconic sportsmen in India. (Photo - Bollywood Hungama)
Dhoni collections have been substantial from day 1 itself and they kept rising during the opening weekend. Since then they have declined, but not to the level that its very presence in cinemas is questioned. Quite the contrary in fact. The movie is running in cinemas, which is clear from the fact that on day 7 (Thursday), the collection figure logged was Rs 5.50 cr - this is an excellent amount for a film that has been in cinemas for a week! The best collection figure that the movie logged was Rs 24.10 cr on Sunday. Dhoni opening weekend collection was Rs 66 cr. This is a truly amazing figure! (Photo - Bollywood Hungama)
So far so good, the Dhoni collection juggernaut will keep rolling through the second weekend. Most probably, the film is unlikely to become a Rs 100 cr film on Friday. However, it is certain to do so on Saturday. It will add just about double-figure amounts in the second weekend. Next week the sum will decline further. However, what remains of extreme interest in the movie is whether it will become a Rs 150 cr film. This will add a tremendous amount of lustre to it. This kind of BO success may even lead filmmakers to think of MS Dhoni 2.0! (Photo - Bollywood Hungama)
More from this section
- IPL Auction 2017: From Ben Stokes at Rs 14.5 cr to Pat Cummins at Rs 4.5 Cr, cricketers who bagged the top 5 deals
- Farida Jalal death hoax: Here’s why the actress caused a Twitter frenzy
- Social media endorsement fees: At 2nd spot, Kendall Jenner paid $300,000 per tweet, but who is number one?
- From the Crimson Tide, Hunt For Red October, U-571, K-19 to The Ghazi, here are the top submarine movies ever made
- Uttar Pradesh Elections 2017: Akhilesh Yadav’s wife, Dimple Yadav campaigns for Aparna Yadav; Check out pictures
- Aero India 2017: From Sweden’s Gripen to India’s Tejas and France’s Rafale fighters, check out the stunning photos!
- Valentine’s Day 2017 photos: These breathtaking pics from all over the world prove V-Day isn’t just a western festival
- Grammys 2017: Five photos of Adele, Beyonce and Lady Gaga to blow your mind
- World’s heaviest woman weighing 500kg from Egypt lands in Mumbai for surgery