Kabali release date: Rajinikanth faces setback, all eyes on Madras High Court today
Just days before Kabali release on Friday, July 22, the Madras High Court on Wednesday issued notice to superstar Rajinikanth on a plea requesting a restraining order on his upcoming film. The case is in court today and all eyes are on what the hon'ble court will order.
While the case under question has nothing to do with Kabali, it has to do with his old movie Lingaa, the plea has been made that the new movie's release should be postponed till the time Rajinikanth paid Rs 89 lakh, which was promised as compensation to the distributor – Lingaa was released in 2014.
Justice M M Sundresh thereafter issued a notice to Rajinikanth, Tamil Film Producers Council, and others. In some concern to Kabali producers, the matter was adjourned till Thursday.
According to the petitioner Sukra films' R Mahaprabhu, Rajnikanth's 'Lingaa' had made huge box office collections losses, as much as Rs 7.45 crore in Coimbatore distribution circle alone, despite assurances given by its producer Rockline Venkatesh, the director and by the superstar himself over this.
He said as part of the deal arrived at, Rs 2.59 crore was allotted to the Coimbatore region and of this Rs 1.70 crore was paid to Coimbatore, Erode, Nilgiri, Tiruppur (CENT) Theatre Owners Association. The remaining amount of Rs 89 lakh was still pending. R Mahaprabhu submitted that 'Kabali' release should be restrained till the amount was settled.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look
- Diwali 2017 celebrations: From Delhi, Gujarat to Karnataka, watch amazing pictures
- Kolkata inferno: Massive fire breaks out at LIC building in City of Joy; Check out pics
- Modi’s Diwali in Kashmir! PM celebrates festival of lights with soldiers in Gurez; see pictures
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman celebrates Diwali with soldiers in Andaman and Nicobar; see pics