Kabali release date: Rajinikanth faces setback, all eyes on Madras High Court today
Just days before Kabali release on Friday, July 22, the Madras High Court on Wednesday issued notice to superstar Rajinikanth on a plea requesting a restraining order on his upcoming film. The case is in court today and all eyes are on what the hon'ble court will order.
While the case under question has nothing to do with Kabali, it has to do with his old movie Lingaa, the plea has been made that the new movie's release should be postponed till the time Rajinikanth paid Rs 89 lakh, which was promised as compensation to the distributor – Lingaa was released in 2014.
Justice M M Sundresh thereafter issued a notice to Rajinikanth, Tamil Film Producers Council, and others. In some concern to Kabali producers, the matter was adjourned till Thursday.
According to the petitioner Sukra films' R Mahaprabhu, Rajnikanth's 'Lingaa' had made huge box office collections losses, as much as Rs 7.45 crore in Coimbatore distribution circle alone, despite assurances given by its producer Rockline Venkatesh, the director and by the superstar himself over this.
He said as part of the deal arrived at, Rs 2.59 crore was allotted to the Coimbatore region and of this Rs 1.70 crore was paid to Coimbatore, Erode, Nilgiri, Tiruppur (CENT) Theatre Owners Association. The remaining amount of Rs 89 lakh was still pending. R Mahaprabhu submitted that 'Kabali' release should be restrained till the amount was settled.
More from this section
- Rs 50, Rs 200, Rs 500 and Rs 2000 notes images: Here are the new currency notes released by RBI
- Toilet Ek Prem Katha earns Rs 115.05 cr, but will it beat Akshay Kumar’s highest grosser Rowdy Rathore?
- This shipping route could cut distance from East Asia to Western Europe by 10,000 kilometers; see pics
- How Iran is trying to secure a corridor from its border to the Mediterranean
- Shah Rukh Khan in world’s highest paid actors list, find out 2 other Indians who made it there too
- Typhoon Hato rattles Hong Kong, streets flooded, flights cancelled; see pictures
- Android Oreo: List of smartphones to get the new OS, check if your mobile is on the list
- China targeting another island in South China Sea? See pics
- US Navy to launch fleet-wide probe after USS John McCain collision; see pics