The business of Yoga
$80 bn: Value of the yoga industry worldwide. According to Centre’s Make In India report, the wellness industry in India is worth Rs 49,000 cr.
(In photo: SBI Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya with ther staff at SBI Bhawan, Nariman Point, Mumbai on International Yoga Day. Express photo by Dilip Kagda )
Rs 1,200 cr: Haridwar-based Patanjali Ayurved’s revenue in 2013-14. The organisation claims to have hit revenue worth.
(In photo: 76000 Cadets of Maharashtra NCC performed Yoga on Interantionl Yoga Day at Navy Nagar. Express photo by Ganesh Shirsekar)
Pakistan's Punjab University today said it would provide free education and residential facilities to at least 10 students from Jammu and Kashmir.(Express Photo)
30-35% rise likely in demand for yoga instructors in a couple of years, an Assocham study said.
(In photo: Bollywood film Director Subhash Ghai and Actor Tiger Shroff and actress Kirti Sanon with Whistling Wood Students celebrates International Yoga Day at Goregaon Flim City in Mumbai on Sunday. Express photo By Pradip Das)
The WHO Support: World Health Organisation is working with India to incorporate yoga into universal healthcare. “Yoga has a very prominent place in the holistic approach through prevention and control of health disorders,” Nata Menabde, executive director, WHO office to the UN, said.
(In photo: Mumbai Trainee Police participate in Yoga at the inauguration of the International Yoga Day, at Marine Drive on Sunday. Express photo by Ganesh Shirsekar)
Rs 12,000 cr: Annual turnover of AYUSH sector (ayurveda, yoga, naturopathy, unani, siddha and homeopathy)
(In photo: Around three Thousand peoples of Gurgaon participate in International Yoga day at Tau Devi Lal stadium, in Gurgaon, India, on Sunday, June 21, 2015. Express photo by Manoj Kumar)
The US market
Yoga, in the US, is estimated to be a $27 bn market in 2014, with more and more Americans turning to the ancient fitness regimen for health benefits. 20.4 mn Americans reportedly practice yoga, a significant increase from the 15.8 million yoga practitioners in 2008. $11 bn: Spending per year by Americans on yoga classes and gear in 2014, up 88% from 2008, according to media reports. Bikram, Ashtanga and Vinyasa yoga studios can be found all across America, but are more concentrated in some states than others.
(In photo: Members of Yogic Sangha celebrates International Day of Yoga at Kolkata Maidan (Brigade Parade Ground) on Sunday in Kolkata. Express photo by Partha Paul)
More from this section
- Narendra Modi in Gujarat: PM launches Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service; see beautiful photos of ferry
- SEE PICS| What happened when Railways Minister Piyush Goyal paid a surprise visit to Kota Jan Shatabdi Express
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom