UK’s Monarch Airlines goes bankrupt, thousands lose jobs; here is all you need to know
British short-haul carrier Monarch Airlines declared bankruptcy after failing to secure fresh capital or sell the business, leaving British authorities racing to rescue tens of thousands of customers stranded abroad, while Monarch staff were made redundant. Monarch Airlines CEO Andrew Swaffield said airline faced an annual loss in excess of £100 million ($133 million, 113 million euros) when it went bust.
In operation since 1968, the airline was owned by investment group Greybull Capital which had kept it going with a 165 million pound ($219 million) injection last October.
The Civil Aviation Authority regulator launched an emergency repatriation scheme on Monday to fly back 110,000 Monarch customers to Britain at an estimated cost to taxpayers of £60 million.
Monarch has been badly hit by a legacy of weak demand in previously key markets Turkey, Tunisia and Egypt that have each suffered terrorist attacks in recent years.
In turn, the events have sparked fierce competition and oversupply for popular destinations Portugal and Spain.
Consequently, the airline suffered a 25-percent reduction in ticket prices which created a "massive economic challenge" for the group, Swaffield said.
Therefore, Monarch faced the daunting prospect of a huge loss for the next financial year.
Monarch Airlines CEO Andrew Swaffield said it was heart-breaking as 2,000 people lost their jobs and we are all absolutely devastated for the customers and for all of us.
Asia's second-biggest aircraft lessor, BOC Aviation Ltd , said it was working to find new homes for 13 Boeing Co 737 MAX 8 aircraft it had planned to lease to the collapsed British carrier.
Around 90 per cent of the staff from Monarch Airlines and Monarch Travel Group were made redundant.
More from this section
- Nanmoku – Japan’s ‘vanishing village’ looks to Shinzo Abe’s LDP for survival; take a look
- From Ministry of Defence recruitment 2017, Indian Navy recruitment to Maharashtra CET 2018 syllabus; here are exam, jobs updates for you
- Beijing turns into virtual fortress for 19th Congress of Communist Party of China; see pics
- These ‘Make in India’ electric locomotives will herald a new era for Indian Railways; must-see images & facts
- Secret Superstar box office collections prediction vs Judwaa 2 vs Toilet Ek Prem Katha; Aamir Khan to beat all in 2017; know why
- INS Kiltan: Indian Navy’s new ‘Make in India’ anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette packs a potent punch!
- Indian Navy recruitment 2017, Maharashtra CET 2018 to ICAT 2018 Application forms, here are the latest education news
- Sneak Peek at World’s largest airport: Beijing New Airport set to become reality; cost attached unbelievable, but photos fabulous
- Judwaa 2 box office collections vs rest: Varun Dhawan smashes all opposition – blood on BO