Elphinstone Road Railway Station Stampede: 22 dead, 50 injured in horrific Prabhadevi Parel bridge Mumbai tragedy; trains running late
t least 22 people were dead and more than 50 people were injured in a stampede on a railway foot overbridge at the Elphinstone Road station in Mumbai on Friday. All the injured have been rushed to the KEM Hospital in Parel as also in other hospitals in the city. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal will be visiting the site soon. (ANI)
he incident took place near a ticket window in between Lower Parel and Elphinstone stations. A railway spokesperson told the channel that four trains came at the same time and because of rain, a number of women commuters slipped, leading to chaos in the crowd, NDTV said.
As per PTI, police suspect short-circuit with a loud sound near the FOB which led to panic after which people started running, causing the stampede. At least three persons were brought dead to the KEM Hospital in Parel. Officials of the railway, police, and fire brigade have reached the site to carry out the rescue operations. (ANI)
The stampede occurred at around 10:45 am and the probe is on, police said. Medical teams have been rushed to the spot.
"Of the injured 20 people have serious injuries, rest have minor injuries. Can't comment more right now," Niket Kaushik,GRP Commissioner, was quoted as saying by ANI today.(ANI)
More from this section
- Nanmoku – Japan’s ‘vanishing village’ looks to Shinzo Abe’s LDP for survival; take a look
- From Ministry of Defence recruitment 2017, Indian Navy recruitment to Maharashtra CET 2018 syllabus; here are exam, jobs updates for you
- Beijing turns into virtual fortress for 19th Congress of Communist Party of China; see pics
- These ‘Make in India’ electric locomotives will herald a new era for Indian Railways; must-see images & facts
- Secret Superstar box office collections prediction vs Judwaa 2 vs Toilet Ek Prem Katha; Aamir Khan to beat all in 2017; know why
- INS Kiltan: Indian Navy’s new ‘Make in India’ anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette packs a potent punch!
- Indian Navy recruitment 2017, Maharashtra CET 2018 to ICAT 2018 Application forms, here are the latest education news
- Sneak Peek at World’s largest airport: Beijing New Airport set to become reality; cost attached unbelievable, but photos fabulous
- Judwaa 2 box office collections vs rest: Varun Dhawan smashes all opposition – blood on BO