Mahamana Express: 15 facts about ‘luxury’ train connecting PM Modi’s Varanasi to Gujarat’s Vadodara, Surat
Mahamana Express superfast express train between Vadodara and Varanasi has started plying! This modern, 'luxurious' train with retrofitted coaches aimed at providing enhanced comfort to passengers for long journeys. All 'Make in India' coaches - general, second-class, sleeper-class, AC-2 tier and First-AC boast of new features that are bound to make your rail travel smoother. We take a look at some salient facts about the latest Mahamana Express - the third such train by Indian Railways - that has been flagged off by PM Narendra Modi:
According to Indian Railways, Mahamana Express has been provided with "world-class interior and aesthetics" along with large number of "passenger-friendly amenities". The coaches have been refurbished and retrofitted at Coach Rehabilitation Workshop in Bhopal.
The Mahamana Express between Vadodara and Varanasi will have 1 First-AC coach, 2 AC II-tier coaches, 8 sleeper-class coaches, 4 general second-class coaches, a pantry car and luggage van coaches.
The coaches boast of thermoplastic panels without visible screws for better safety and aesthetics. The berths in all coaches have been ergonomically designed.
Plush toilets in the First-AC cabin have baby seats/nappy-changing seats, a full-length mirror and a shower! The toilet module has also been redesigned a per the ICF design in order to eliminate water logging.
Toilets in all other coaches are also modular a big mirror, platform washbasin, controlled discharge water tap, odour control system, exhaust fan, LED lights, dustbin etc.
All coaches have a passenger addressing system and a GPS-based passenger information system. LED lights have been used in the coaches for enhanced illumination. This also ensures service durability while minimising power consumption, says Railways.
Windows in the First-AC coaches have powered venetian blinds instead of curtains. There is provision of fire extinguishers and garbage bins in all coaches.
One big pain-point for passengers in the sleeper class and AC-2 tier coaches is the ladder that they have to use to reach the upper/middle berth. To address this, Indian Railways has used an ergonomically-designed ladder.
Cushioned luggage racks have been provided in the General Sitting (non-AC) coaches. The texture of rexene used in Mahamana Express has been changed to prevent dust ingress.
The snack tray mounting in the middle of the lower berth in the AC-2 tier coaches has been improved and strengthened.
Superior material has been used for panels in terms of toxicity index and fire retardation, says Railways. More number of berth reading lights have been provided in general sleeper coaches.
The number of mobile/laptop charging points has been increased. Also, the coat hooks have been changed from a single hook to a three hook module.
The Mahamana Express was initially conceptualised as a train that has been made by modifying seven types of coaches. The model rakes that have been developed are a "refurbished and re-adapted" version of seven types of coaches which have been in use by Indian Railways for the past 10-12 years.
The Mahamana Express between Vadodara and Varanasi will stop at Bharuch, Surat, Amalner, Bhusawal, Itarsi, Jabalpur, Katni, Satna and Chheoki stations in both the directions.
The 20903 Vadodara– Varanasi–Vadodara Mahamana Superfast Express train will depart from Vadodara on every Wednesday at 07:40 PM from September 27 to reach Varanasi at 10:20 PM the next day.
In the return direction the 20904 Varanasi–Vadodara Mahamana Superfast Express will depart from Varanasi on every Friday at 06:10 AM from September 29 to reach Vadodara at 09:40 AM the next day.
More from this section
- SEE PICS| What happened when Railways Minister Piyush Goyal paid a surprise visit to Kota Jan Shatabdi Express
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos