Kolkata welcomes Durga Puja with kilometre long Alpona; see stunning photos
Durga Pujo 2017: Durga Puja is just around the corner and the Bengalis have started their preparation to welcome the goddess Durga on Earth. It all begins with celebrating Mahalaya, which starts on the first day of Durga Puja. This year it is on September 19. Mahalaya marks the beginning of the Durga Puja. From artisans frantically giving final touches to idols of the goddess Durga to puja organisers hurried to put together the marquees (pandals) for inaugural, all the arrangements are on full swing. In Kolkata, to give an innovative touch to the Durga Pujo celebration there is kilometer long street 'Alpona' unveiled with several Dhaakis performed on the same occasion.
Take a look of the stunning 'Alpona' designs:
A top view during the unveiling of a kilometer long street 'Alpona' (sacred art painting) to celebrate the upcoming Durga Puja festival in Kolkata. (PTI Photo)
Dhaakis (traditional drummers) perform during the unveiling of a kilometer long street 'Alpona' (sacred art painting) to celebrate the upcoming Durga Puja festival in Kolkata. (PTI Photo)
The 1.2 km long 'Alpona' was unveiled on Lake Road in Kolkata.
Mahalaya marks the beginning of one of the biggest festivals in India-Durga Pujo.
Bengali actor Prosenjit Chatterjee was also seen performing some 'Alpona' design at Lake Road in Kolkata.
Durga Pujo is celebrated for seven days, which will start from September 25 and will end on September 30. It is said that the first day, Mahalaya, is when Goddess Durga started her journey from Kailash to earth (her paternal home).
More from this section
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look
- Diwali 2017 celebrations: From Delhi, Gujarat to Karnataka, watch amazing pictures
- Kolkata inferno: Massive fire breaks out at LIC building in City of Joy; Check out pics
- Modi’s Diwali in Kashmir! PM celebrates festival of lights with soldiers in Gurez; see pictures
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman celebrates Diwali with soldiers in Andaman and Nicobar; see pics
- Yogi Adityanath’s grand Diwali in Ayodhya: From 1.71 lakh diyas to mythical Ram, Sita touch down in chopper, check out spectacular photos
- IISc, IIT Bombay, in world’s top 200 engineering institutions; see big miss by IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur
- Happy Diwali 2017: See breathtaking pictures as people prepare to celebrate the big day