Shubho Mahalaya! Bengalis gear up for Durga Pujo; see pics
Durga Pujo 2017: Durga Puja is just around the corner and the Bengalis have started their preparation to welcome the goddess Durga on Earth. It all begins with celebrating Mahalaya, which starts on the first day of Durga Puja. According to the Hindu mythology, Goddess Durga is touted to be the epitome of positive power gaining victory over evil. Devotees pray for happiness and prosperity and blessings from the goddess.
Here are some interseting facts about Mahalaya:
This year, Mahalaya is being celebrated on September 19. This day marks as the end of the 'pitri-paksh' and the beginning of the 'Devi-paksha'.
Mahalaya marks the beginning of one of the biggest festivals in India- Durga Puja.
Mahalaya is said to be the time when Goddess Durga killed the asuras (demons).
Mahalaya is the day when Goddess Durga was created by other Gods with an aim to destroy not just the evil Mahishasura but also every other evil power in the universe.
Mahalaya is an invitation to Goddess Durga to start her journey from Kailash to earth (her paternal home) along with her 4 children - Lakshmi, Ganesha, Saraswati and Kartik.
In the 1930s, Mahalaya was first broadcast over the Radio which was later recorded in the voice of Birendra Kirshna Badra.
Every year, on Mahalaya morning, all the Bengalis listen the recorded version of the same. It recites the tales of Goddress Durga's descent to earth.
More from this section
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look
- Diwali 2017 celebrations: From Delhi, Gujarat to Karnataka, watch amazing pictures
- Kolkata inferno: Massive fire breaks out at LIC building in City of Joy; Check out pics
- Modi’s Diwali in Kashmir! PM celebrates festival of lights with soldiers in Gurez; see pictures
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman celebrates Diwali with soldiers in Andaman and Nicobar; see pics
- Yogi Adityanath’s grand Diwali in Ayodhya: From 1.71 lakh diyas to mythical Ram, Sita touch down in chopper, check out spectacular photos