How to link Aadhaar Card with SIM card: What you need to do in this critical task; step by step guide
How to link Aadhaar Card with SIM card: Aadhaar card is now a crucial thing to have in India, especially with the way the government has made it mandatory in several sectors and even services. Having an Aadhaar number is not only necessary for establishing your identity to avail schemes but also in financial matters like bank accounts and filing taxes. Even mobile phone service users will now have to verify using Aadhaar numbers, as the telcos, in March, had been instructed to start the process. The Department of Telecom’s order said: “All licensees shall re-verify all existing mobile subscribers (prepaid and postpaid) through an Aadhaar-based e-KYC process.” There is now, one years’ time, until February 6, 2018, for the completion of this eKYC process. Here are a few things you should know about the whole process.
What is the Aadhaar based eKYC exactly? Whether you wish to keep your old mobile number or get a new one, you are needed to verify it using your Aadhaar Card number. eKYC is basically an online method of the usual “Know Your Customer” form. COAI Director General Rajan Mathews had said in a statement, “The issue of fake subscribers will go away. We will try our best to cover the entire base within the stipulated time frame of one year.”
What is the exact process? There are two possible cases when it comes to linking your mobile number to Aadhaar. The first scenario would be if you are linking for the first time. In this case, the verification can only be done through an offline channel. 1) You will have to visit your nearest Aadhaar centre to get the Aadhar Update/Correction Form or download it from the UIDAI website. 2) Fill out the form and submit it at an Aadhaar centre. 3) You will also be needed to submit your Aadhaar Card photocopy as well as of an identification proof like voter’s card or driver’s licence. 4) After this, your biometrics (thumb impression) will have to be verified at the centre. 5) This will be used to match it with the biometrics recorded while applying for the Aadhaar card.
In the second scenario, a user might want to update his/her Aadhaar data if they changed a mobile number. This process can be completed offline, however, one must make sure that the previous number is with you, a One-Time-Password (OTP) will be sent to that number. In order to verify your current number, go to the UIDAI website. Within the website, you will find an option called as ‘Aadhaar Update’ and under this, you will see a portal called ‘Aadhar Self-Service’. Here you will have to follow the instructions, and you then you can enter your new number. This number will be updated in the records, one you confirm it through the OTP.
If you want another number from the same telecom company, will your first eKYC be enough? Sadly, the answer is no. According to the notification issued by DoT, in order to issue additional mobile connections to a re-verified subscriber, the operator would have to follow a separate eKYC process.
More from this section
- Rahul Gandhi Gujarat visit: From bullock cart campaign to drinking tea from a bowl, here is what Congress VP did during roadshow
- Kolkata Durga Puja pandal recreates Bahubali’s Mahismati Kingdom; check out stunning images
- Awesome! 22 kg gold saree for Goddess Durga in a London themed Kolkata pandal; take a look at gorgeous images
- President Ramnath Kovind offers prayers at Kedarnath temple, prays for India’s prosperity; see photos
- India vs Australia highlights 3rd ODI: Steve Smith’s side finally shows fight, but still ends up short of 300; Easy pickings for Virat Kohli and co
- Kuldeep Yadav: Top 7 interesting facts about India’s latest bowling sensation
- Narendra Modi Mann Ki Baat: Top 10 quotes by PM on third anniversary of his radio programme
- India vs Australia Live Streaming 3rd ODI: When and where to watch the match live online, TV Coverage
- Kolkata gets ready for Durga Puja; check out City of Joy’s some unique pandal themes