Flood fury in Assam puts wildlife of Kaziranga National Park in peril; see pics
Rising floodwaters have inundated large parts of a famous wildlife reserve park in northeastern India, killing more than 225 animals and forcing hundreds of other animals to flee. Around 15 rhinos, 185 deer and at least one Royal Bengal tiger have died in the devastating floods that have submerged almost the entire Kaziranga National Park in Assam state. It is a hearbreaking scene as carcasses of animals were seen floating in the floodwaters.
In this photo the carcass of a tiger lies in floodwaters at the Bagori range inside Kaziranga National Park. (AP Photo)
Earlier this month, the first wave of floods had submerged over 70 per cent of the park and led to the death of 105 animals.
In this photo rhinos and buffaloes are seen at the flooded Kaziranga National Park. (Reuters)
The second wave of floods hit the state earlier this month, submerging 25 districts and affecting over 33 lakh people.
In this photo a mahout bathes his elephant inside the flooded Kaziranga National Park. (Reuters)
About 80 per cent of the 480-square-kilometer (185-square-mile) park has been flooded and more than 100 animal carcass recovered.
Rhinos and a deer at the flooded Kaziranga National Park. (PTI Photo)
Deadly landslides and flooding are common across South Asia during the summer monsoon season that stretches from June to September.
Forest guards chase away a rhino that strayed into a residential area after floods forced animals to escape the Kaziranga National Park. (Reuters)
Rhinos and an elephant at a highland at the flooded Kaziranga National Park. (PTI Photo)
A new regional plan has been proposed, from creating “elephant removal zones” to relocating or even holding captive “problem” elephants that roam on agricultural land, strategic measures are on its way to put a check on the human-elephant conflict. (PTI)
A one-horned rhino calf that was rescued by the International Fund for Animal Welfare and the Wildlife Trust of India (IFAW-WTI) team in Kaziranga National Park. (AP Photo)
More from this section
- Kim Jong Un calls Trump deranged old man: Here are 5 things to know about North Korea leader’s rebuke of US President
- Bihar TET Result 2017: Teacher Eligibility Test scores declared at bsebonline.net, biharboard.ac.in; visit official website to check
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Day 1, Top 10 mobiles from Samsung, Apple, Lenovo, with best offers, discounts
- In pics: Rahul Gandhi dares Narendra Modi in US, hopes to create ripples in India
- IBPS PO Preliminary Online Exam 2017 Call Letter now available at ibps.in, visit official website to download now!
- An entire country goes dark: Puerto Rico without power as Hurricane Maria strikes; take a look
- SSC CGL 2017: Candidates find level of test difficult, demand normalisation of scores
- HBSE Open Admit Card 2017 for class 10th, 12th now available at bseh.org.in, visit official website to download
- Swach Bharat Abhiyan! Indian Army carries out cleanliness drive at Siachen, world’s highest battlefield; see pictures