‘Super fast’ Tejas Express gets its own special, powerful engine that can power the train at 160 km/hr. Check pics
Tejas Express: Within weeks of being launched, the swanky and luxurious Tejas Express has already got an exclusive engine! Locomotives are usually independent of trains and can be attached as the need arises. However, according to Anil Kumar Singh of Central Railways, Kalyan Diesel Loco shed has given the locomotive for Tejas a colour scheme to match the bright colour scheme of the the Tejas Express coaches - making it exclusive to the train. We take a look at the bright and colourful engine and check out its features:
The WDP3A diesel passenger locomotive can pull the train at a maximum speed of 160 kmph.
However, the route of the Mumbai-Goa Tejas Express do not allow the train to run at a speed higher than 130 kmph. Such engines may be helpful once the other Tejas Express trains (Delhi-Chandigarh and Delhi-Lucknow) start plying.
The WDP3A diesel engine can run on both direct current and alternate transmission.
The 3100 BHP engine has a powerful 16-cylinder, 4-stroke turbo super charged system. It has an axel load limit of around 19.5 tonnes.
Tejas Express (All-AC chair car) has been defined as the future of rail travel in India by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu. Indian Railways has pitched the Tejas Express as a train that offers airline-like features. The train, with fares higher than Shatabdi, is part of the Railways strategy to generate more revenue by offering better passenger amenities.
More from this section
- Sabarmati River front flood warning: Dharoi Dam releases 50,000 cusecs of water, Ahmedabad Commissioner raises alert
- Indian summer monsoons strengthen over past 15 years, reverses 50-year dry spell; check out images
- India gets 14th President – Ram Nath Kovind; here are big pictures from the ceremony
- Mumbai building collapse in Ghatkopar: 9 dead, 50 feared missing; heart-rending photos emerge
- T-50 PAK-FA: Know about Russia’s most advanced 5th generation stealth fighter jet
- Monsoon mayhem in Gujarat: Floods destroy roads, wash out several homes; take a look
- Amazing coincidence! 5 places around the world with names identical to Indian cities
- MiG-35 can beat USA’s F-35, says Russia: Know about the 4++ generation fighter jet that India may be interested in
- IBPS RRB 2017 application process for Officer scale I, II, III and Multipurpose posts starts, apply now