India vs Pakistan Hockey World League Semi-final: India maul Pakistan 7-1; wear black armbands in solidarity with Army
India vs Pakistan Hockey World League Semi-final: In a one-sided affair, India on Sunday brutally crushed Pakistan at the Hockey World League (HWL) semifinal, played at the Olympic Park, London. The Men in Blue thrashed Pakistan 7-l. For India, Dragflicker Harmanpreet Singh (13th minute, 33rd), Talwinder Singh (21st, 24th), Akashdeep Singh (47th, 59th) and Pradeep Mor (49th) scored goals, while Pakistan's consolation goal came from the stick of Muhammad Umar Bhutta (57th). With the registration of today's facile victory, India are now placed atop Pool B, with three wins from as many games, just ahead of The Netherlands, who are placed second. While one the other hand, Pakistan have been placed at the bottom of the pool after losing all three matches they have played so far. India will next play The Netherlands on Tuesday, while Pakistan will face Scotland tomorrow.
India continued in the same vein after the change of ends and three minutes into the second half Harmanpreet scored from another set piece to extend the lead. In between Pakistan had their share of chances but they failed to get past an alert Akash Chikte in front of Indian goal. After Chinglensana Singh was brilliantly denied by Pakistan goalkeeper Amjad Ali, Akashdeep scored a brilliant field goal from the top of the circle after fine one-two with Sardar Singh.
Soon after, Talwinder doubled India's lead combining well with Satbir Singh and SV Sunil. After some time, Talwinder scored his second goal of the day when he neatly lifted over Amjad a high ball from Satbir and India went into the breather with a comfortable 3-0 cushion.
In the 13th minute, Harmanpreet converted a penalty corner with a low grounded flick. Men in Blue secured another penalty corner four minutes into the second quarter but Harmanpreet's flick was saved by Amjad Ali in front of Pakistan goal.
However, in the starting minutes, it was Pakistan who dominated. However, the domination lasted only the first 10 minutes. Pakistan had the first shot at the goal when they earned a penalty corner but the effort sailed over the bar. As the match progressed, India started to control the proceedings with Pakistan playing a catch-up game.
More from this section
- Narendra Modi Gujarat visit: PM inaugrates Ghogha-Dahej Ro-Ro ferry service in Bhavnagar; see spectacular photos
- Job notifications you must not miss! From UPSC recruitment 2017 to SBI specialist officers, check list of vacancies
- India pays homage to policemen on Police Commemoration Day; Rajnath Singh lays wreath at Police Memorial; see pictures
- Thailand all set for royal five-day funeral ceremony for its late King Bhumibol Adulyadej; check out stunning pictures
- Narendra Modi in Kedarnath: PM lays foundation stones for 5 projects during Himalayan shrine visit; check splendid photos
- From NTCL recruitment 2017, ITBP recruitment to CMAT 2018 online application; here are the top jobs, education news
- Secret Superstar, Golmaal Again, Mersal box office collections: Aamir Khan, Ajay Devgn, Vijay, Ravi Teja in big fight; see who is beating whom
- Singapore’s Diwali themed trains are absolute visual treats; check out spectacular photos
- A day after Diwali, Delhi choked, wakes up to blanket of smog; take a look