India vs Pakistan Hockey World League Semi-final: India maul Pakistan 7-1; wear black armbands in solidarity with Army
India vs Pakistan Hockey World League Semi-final: In a one-sided affair, India on Sunday brutally crushed Pakistan at the Hockey World League (HWL) semifinal, played at the Olympic Park, London. The Men in Blue thrashed Pakistan 7-l. For India, Dragflicker Harmanpreet Singh (13th minute, 33rd), Talwinder Singh (21st, 24th), Akashdeep Singh (47th, 59th) and Pradeep Mor (49th) scored goals, while Pakistan's consolation goal came from the stick of Muhammad Umar Bhutta (57th). With the registration of today's facile victory, India are now placed atop Pool B, with three wins from as many games, just ahead of The Netherlands, who are placed second. While one the other hand, Pakistan have been placed at the bottom of the pool after losing all three matches they have played so far. India will next play The Netherlands on Tuesday, while Pakistan will face Scotland tomorrow.
India continued in the same vein after the change of ends and three minutes into the second half Harmanpreet scored from another set piece to extend the lead. In between Pakistan had their share of chances but they failed to get past an alert Akash Chikte in front of Indian goal. After Chinglensana Singh was brilliantly denied by Pakistan goalkeeper Amjad Ali, Akashdeep scored a brilliant field goal from the top of the circle after fine one-two with Sardar Singh.
Soon after, Talwinder doubled India's lead combining well with Satbir Singh and SV Sunil. After some time, Talwinder scored his second goal of the day when he neatly lifted over Amjad a high ball from Satbir and India went into the breather with a comfortable 3-0 cushion.
In the 13th minute, Harmanpreet converted a penalty corner with a low grounded flick. Men in Blue secured another penalty corner four minutes into the second quarter but Harmanpreet's flick was saved by Amjad Ali in front of Pakistan goal.
However, in the starting minutes, it was Pakistan who dominated. However, the domination lasted only the first 10 minutes. Pakistan had the first shot at the goal when they earned a penalty corner but the effort sailed over the bar. As the match progressed, India started to control the proceedings with Pakistan playing a catch-up game.
More from this section
- Solar Eclipse: Ten stunning images from the celestial event
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Wonder-struck, millions watch total eclipse as moon blanks out sun, rings in darkness in middle of morning; watch photos
- Chandigarh flood: Heavy rain overwhelms city infra, causes 3-km long traffic jams; waist high water in many areas
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau attends India Day parade in Montreal; see pics
- London’s iconic Big Ben to go silent for repairs until 2021; see pics
- US warship USS John S McCain involved in collision near Singapore, see pics
- What is Tiranga Yatra? Know about PM Narendra Modi’s initiative for New India
- Not able to travel US to experience Total Solar Eclipse? Here are 5 apps to watch it on August 21
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A coming on Monday! Here are expected release date in India, specification, and price